Print preview Close

Showing 8 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Sir Richard Braunche; fl 1480-?1507; chaplain at St Giles Hospital; Norwich, Norfolk
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

The Lathes in Norwich, Collector of [Norwich] farms' accounts

Michaelmas 39 Henry VI-21 Edward IV. Annual accounts of clerks and fellows of the Hospital, acting as Collectors of rents and farms in Norwich. These were; Sir Ralph Somerby, clerk (1460-67 gaps), Richard Appylby, clerk (1461-2), Sir Richard Braunche (1468-70, 1479-81) ,Sir John Jullis, chaplain (1472-76) and Robert Blithe (1477-79). Braunche's account for 19-20 Edward IV is a draft account on paper. No engrossed account for that year survives in this roll.

Great Hospital; c 1249-; Norwich, Norfolk

Costessey Rectory serjeants' and surveyors' accounts

Michaelmas 1-23 Richard II. Annual accounts of William [?Holdowen-ink is faint] of Holwe?, serjeant, 1377-79, John de Hoxne, serjeant, 1380-1, Roger de Eton, surveyor of the rectory, 1383-85, Simon de Belawe, surveyor, 1387-8, Sir Benedict, 'confrere' [of the Hospital] and surveyor, 1390-1395, John Nene, surveyor, 1396-7 and John Braunch, warden 'there', 1398-9.
All the accounts bear corn or grange revenues, and livestock accounts of their dorse. Sir Benedict's year in charge for 14-15 Rich II (1390-1) is represented by two accounts, one being like other accounts in the roll, the other recording lesser amounts in a different format.
See also John de Hoxn's account of the barley harvest costs in 1381-2 in NCR 24c/4/9.

Sir Richard Braunche; fl 1480-?1507; chaplain at St Giles Hospital; Norwich, Norfolk

Norwich rents and farms Collectors' accounts

Michaelmas 4-19 Edward IV. (missing year, 1470-1) Annual accounts of Ralph Somerby, clerk, brother [of the Hospital] occupying the office of Collector, 1464-7, Sir Peter Goos, brother and collector, Mm 1467-Easter 1468, Sir Richard Braunch, brother and collector, Easter 1468-Mm 1470, Robert Turnor, occupying the office of Steward of the Hospital and collector, 1471-2, collector, 1476-7, Sir John Julles, chaplain and collector, 1472-76, and Robert Blithe, chaplain and collector, 1477-8.
Bound in with Somerby's account of 6-7 Ed IV is a small parchment slip bearing a list of bad debts, 'debita despetata', 1466.

Sir Peter Goos; fl c 1442-1472; chaplain, member and officer of the community at St Giles' Hospital; Norwich, Norfolk

St Giles' Hospital's engrossed, annual account rolls and subsidiary records

These accounts are the fair-copy, final accounts produced initially by the master or by other clerical officials at the hospital, and, after the Edwardian re-foundation, by the Receiver-General of the hospital's income, from information drawn from many subsidiary accounts and memoranda. These subsidiary bailiffs', reeves', and receivers' accounts from individual estates (manors, rectories, etc.), where they survive, are listed under NCR 24c-i.

The accounts are described under four broad categories: Early, that is, from 1294 to 1397, being generally unidentified with reference to office, but probably relating to the Hospital's Surveyors or to individual Masters acting as surveyors; those of the Collectors of the Norwich rents and farms; the later 15th-century, general and domestic accounts of the offices of Receiver, Surveyor and Steward; and those of the post-Edwardian foundation hospital's Collectors and General Receivers from 1548 onwards.

The early accounts survive from the 1290s, but mainly date from the first and second quarters of the 14th century, with another grouping in the last quarter of that century. Although the Norwich collector's accounts survive from 1414 onwards, those of the Receiver and Surveyor, arguably the more direct successor series to the earlier account rolls, only survive from 1465 onwards, leaving a gap in coverage of over 67 years in the early-mid 15th century. Both of the later medieval account series cease in 1528, leaving another gap in coverage until the earliest surviving Edwardian-foundation account of 1548-9, a gap that encompassed the troubled years of the suppression of monastic institutions generally, and, locally, of the surrender of the Hospital to the Crown, and its subsequent re-granting to the City of Norwich.

The Steward's accounts appear not to have been identified as such until the mid-15th century, and had but a brief independent existence before they (though not the office itself) were subsumed into the Receiver's 'general' accounts, leaving just two distinct, late-medieval series of accounts, that of the Collector of Norwich revenues and the other, of the Receiver of all the country estates' rents and farms. This persisted until at least 1528 and possibly through the subsequent gap in coverage affecting both series until the re-founding of the Hospital in 1547. When the annual accounts reappeared in 1548, they were in a unified form, produced by the office of the General Collector and Receiver of all revenues, rents and profits of the possessions of the Hospital of St Giles (later called Gods House, or the House of the Poor People in Holmstreet in the City of Norwich) and of all foreign receipts. Under this style, in rolled-file format until 1686 (of those listed here in the NCR catalogue), and in volume form (listed under the reference, N/MC 17), from 1687 until 1945.

The medieval hospital's accounting year commenced at Michaelmas (29 September) throughout its independent existence, but adopted, upon its re-foundation under the City's control in 1547, an accounting period starting on 24 June (the feast of the Nativity of St John Baptist) which accorded with that of the City itself. This remained the case until Thomas King's time as Receiver and Collector, in office from 1618 onwards, when the accounting year was changed to Lady Day (25 March) to the following Lady Day, and so continued thereafter.

The apparently-draft account from 1320-21 (NCR 24a/4) appears to have been recorded on the dorse of an incomplete, mid-13th century schedule of parishes in five deaneries in Suffolk, probably compiled by diocesan officials, possibly for taxation purposes.

These accounts would have drawn upon subsidiary accounts, such as the bailiffs' accounts from individual manors, catalogued under NCR 24c.

Names of Hospital accountants (from the rolls and not a comprehensive list owing to gaps in coverage):

Early accountants (surveyors of the Hospital's estates, often senior chaplains, or sometimes, the Masters of the Hospital):
Sir Thomas de Hemmersby, Master, c 1294, Sir John de Metingham, c 1319-1329, Sir John de Spa..teshale [?Spexhall, Suffolk] of Cleye (alias John de Cleye of Sp...teshale, or simply, John de Cleye, 1329-1336, John de Collebe, 1335 (jointly with John de Cleye)-1339, Roger de Eton chaplain, c 1346 onwards, Roger de Erpyngham, 1375-6, and Sir Benedict Cobbe, Master and surveyor and receiver, 1385-1397.

Stewards: Richard Botes, clerk, 1414-15, Brother Ralph Somerby, 1465-67, Robert Godfrey, clerk, 1483-1490, John Hekker, clerk, 1498-1501 and 1505-08, Master [of the Hospital] John Jullys, 1502-03

Collectors of Norwich farms and rents: William Julles, pre-1414, John Betyns, 1414-16, John Marchall, clerk, ?-1426, William Garlond, clerk, 1426-7, Geoffrey Halle, clerk, 1430-31, Richard Lynes, clerk, 1431-33, John Betynes, 1434-35, Thomas Lucas, chaplain, 1435-36, Brother Ralph Somerby/Summerby, clerk, 1436-1467, 'Sir' Brother Peter Goos, 1467 and 'Sir' Brother Richard Braunch, 1468-1471, Robert Turnor, 1471-2, 'Sir' John Julles, chaplain, 1472-1477, Robert Turnor, 1477-8, Robert Blithe, chaplain, 1478-80, Richard Braunche, chaplain, 1480-1, Robert Godfrey, clerk, 1484-?1496, William Fewaleyn/Fualeyn/FitzAleyn, 1496-7 and 1505-1515, John Hekker, clerk, 1498-1500, William Ferbye, 1502-3, Nicholas Dowse, 1515-17, Robert Pawe, 1519-23, Robert Tompson, 1523-4, William Tyke, 1524-27, Edward Aleyn, 1527-8

Receivers and Surveyors: 'Sir' Brother Peter Goos, 1465-67, John Baly, 1471-73, 'Sir' Robert Blithe, chaplain, 1478-80, Master John Smyth, clerk, 1480-82, Robert Godfrey, clerk, 1482-89, John Hekker, clerk, 1499-1501 and 1505-08, Master [of the Hospital] John Jullys, clerk, 1502-3, William Fualeyn, 1511-?, John Hekker, clerk and Robert Treswell, chaplain, 1515-16, Robert Treswelle, chaplain, 1516-1528

Post-Edwardian foundation Collectors and Receivers were: Alderman Thomas Codde, 1548-9 [Mayor in 1549], Thomas Kyng, Collector from 1549, Collector and Receiver from 1553-55, Alderman Thomas Beamonde (as executor of Thomas Kyng's will), 1555-59, Anthony Marker, 1559-1570 [also Town Clerk, 1559-1579], Thomas Corye the Younger, 1570-1590 [also Town Clerk, 1580-1591], Richard Tolye (Toolye/Tooley), 1590-1598, Leonard Mapes, gent., 1599-c1613 [also Town Clerk, 1596-1609], Thomas Doughty and Henry Colfer, 1613-1616?, Thomas King, gent., 1616-1639 [also Town Clerk, 1615-1639] and Thomas Baleston, gent., 1639-1648/9 [also Town Clerk, 1639-1664], Mayor and Alderman Thomas Barrett, 1650-1665, Thomas Corie, Esq., 1665-1667 [also Town Clerk, 1664-1687], William Rayley, gent., 1667-1685, and Nicholas Bickerdike, 1686-

Thomas Codde; ?-1558; Mayor of Norwich; Norwich, Norfolk