- MC 2234
- nd [early 13th century]-1901
The archive includes records from the two manors of Weeting and of Southalls and Cocketts in Weeting, leases of the Broomhill Priory site in Weeting and also some medieval deeds of title to estates in Norfolk, Suffolk and elsewhere, many of which were given or conveyed to Broomhill Priory during the 13th and early 14th centuries. These latter documents were inherited by the Master and fellows of Christ's College, Cambridge after the downfall of Cardinal Wolsey, to whom the priory and its perquisites were conveyed when the priory was supressed by papal bull in 1528. The college were to be the owners of the priory estates until 1813, when they sold their Bromehill estates to John Julius Angerstein.
In addition, the records include deeds of title to other Weeting and Brandon properties for the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and Chancery cause papers (Fowler vs Wright) re the disputed ownership of the two Weeting manors in the seventeenth century.
These records relate to the estates in Weeting which were, in the early twentieth century, the property of Sir James Calder of Lynford Hall and after him, of John Calder of West Tofts. Prior to the Calder interest, T.S. Hall was lord of the manor and chief landowner in Weeting, and before him, the Angerstein Family, John Julius Angerstein having purchased the Weeting estates in 1806-8 from Orlando, the Earl of Bradford. After the death of Hall in 1906, the estate was managed by his trustees before being sold, probably during, or just after, the First World War, to various private owners (the Calders among them) and to the Forestry Commission. Weeting Hall itself, became a training centre run by the Ministry of Labour.