Showing 2 results

Archival description
Records of A.F. Scott, Architect
Print preview View:

Records of A.F. Scott, Architect

  • BR 309
  • Fonds
  • 1890-1988

Contains records relating to the construction of the Co-operative Dairy Stables in Upper Surrey Street, Norwich.

A.F. Scott and Sons; 1918-1973; architects and surveyors; Norwich, Norfolk

Papers concerning construction of Co-operative Dairy Stables, Norwich by A.F. Scott

Contains: contract for construction of stable building between:
1) John Hurn, Norwich builder
2) The Norwich Co-operative Society Ltd

consideration £2,188, 28 May 1896, with later annotations for additional works to the site, 1911.

Also includes specification of works for the construction of stable buildings, April 1896, with later annotations, 1911; correspondence concerning the stable construction with various people including John Hurn, Carron Company, 1896-8; notice and forms in an envelope marked Mr A.F. Scott, from the City Engineer's Office regarding the granting of planning permission for the stables, with inspection forms to be returned when specific stages of the building process are complete, 1 Mar 1890; printed estimate for the construction of stable buildings written by A.F. Scott, May 1896. Later heavily, annotated for Cromer Urban District Council, bill of quantities for the conveniences under the Red Lion Steps, Cromer, 1895; loose bill for the preparation of plans for the stable building, April 1898; bills issued by Carron Company to Norwich Co-operative Society for works produced, 5 Sept 1896-28 Dec 1896; loose notes concerning the construction of the stables including costings, nd [1896] ; notice of intention to erect new building to Norwich Urban Sanitary Authority to make alterations to the cottage in the Co-operative Society Stable Yard, Feb 1897 signed A.F. Scott.
Also includes press cutting concerning the history of the stables, 10 Mar 1988.

-

In 1896, the Norwich Co-operative Society, was anxious to acquire more land for stables and its many horse-drawn delivery carts. It had previously hired stables and the need to have their own stables was becoming a necessity. The society bought land on the site of the Militia Barracks Parade Ground in All Saints' Green, backing on to the Bignold House garden wall, which was to become the site of the bus station in 1936. The land cost £1100 and A.F. Scott was employed with designing stables to stall 34 horses. The design was a mixture of Art Nouveau and Byzantine and was first erected with two bays, with additional bay for 18 horses was added later. Each bay was peaked with a Dutch gable, curved and lined with glazed brick and a central oriel window. The semi-circular windows with key-stones and brick-arched loft doors were framed in glazed brick pilasters and below each oriel window on the gables, the letters of the Norwich Co-operative Society were cared in the brickwork with ceramic tiling. The glazed brickwork was carried out inside the building for easy cleaning and the iron posts and stall pillars had space and size. The stables became garages and store rooms for Norwich Union when the Co-operative vacated and in 2005 the new bus station was opened on the site.
A.F. Scott also designed the former Co-operative store in St Stephens Street.