Showing 17 results

Archival description
Wymondham Brewery
Print preview View:

Wymondham Brewery

  • BR 157
  • Fonds
  • 1796-1918

Wymondham Brewery; ?-1894; brewers; Wymondham, Norfolk

Deed of co-partnership for Wymondham Brewery between William Cann, William Clarke, John Mitchell and Edward Clarke

Property comprises capital messuage and Brewery in Wymondham with cottages and tenements and the public houses, Sun, King of Prussia (formerly Old Turnpike), Bell, Rule and Compass, Queen's Arms, Griffin, Green Dragon, Dove, Two Brewers, Duke, Half Moon, White Horse, Dog and Duck all in Wymondham; King's Head, Hethersett; Black Horse, Flordon; Hapton Hole, Hapton; Bird in Hand, Hardingham; Woolpack, Morley St Peter or St Botolph[sic]; Queen's Head, Bunwell; Prince of Wales, Ber Street, Norwich; Half Moon in St John Timberhill, Norwich; cottage called Greens in Barford. With contents of Wymondham Brewery estate as schedule.

Conveyance of freehold estates and covenant to surrender copyhold estates of late firm of Cann and Clarke to William Cann and Elijah Crosier Bailey under will of late William Robert Cann 26 May 1876.

With subsequent releases and conveyances of parts of the estate under will of Cann to members of Bailey family 1882-1894.

Properties in 1876 conveyance:-

Freehold: Messuage and Brewery, Sun, Old Turnpike (now King of Prussia), Rule and Compass, Griffin, Green Dragon, Dove, Two Brewers, Duke, Half Moon (now a cottage), White Horse, Dog and Duck, all in Wymondham; King's Head, Hethersett; Black Horse, Flordon; Hapton Hole (now Hapton White Horse), Hapton; Bird in Hand, Hardingham; Woolpack, Morley; Queens Head with 4a. in Bunwell; Half Moon (now Cattle Market Inn) St John Timberhill, Norwich; King's Head and blacksmith's shop, Barford.
Copyhold: Blacksmith's shop and land, Flordon; Maltsters', Stratton St Mary; land in Chapelgate Street, Wymondham; Dun Cow (now Railway) with adjoining land and other land in Wymondham; Plough, Carleton Rode; 43a. in Besthorpe; 5a. 9r. in Welborne; King's Head, Wymondham; land and cottage in Barford; 4a. 8r. in Attleborough; Wool Pack and cottage, Wymondham; Dog, Hingham; cottages in Bridgham; house and cottage, Cock, Windmill Sails, Wymondham; Lawyers, Spooner Row; Bell (now Crown) Great Ellingham; Bowling Green, Saxlingham; George, Mattishall; land in Bawburgh; Three Boars and land in Wymondham; King's Head and land in Wramplingham; Star, Tivetshall St Margaret; Bird in Hand (formerly Chequers) Gissing; Red Lion, Bridgham; Crown, Little Ellingham; Duke's Head, Caston; land in Rockland; Crown, Attleborough; beerhouse and malthouse in Wymondham.

Title deeds and papers re 1a. 3r. of Fairland Wymondham with 4 cottages, assigned by executors under will of John Stephenson Cann to Elijah Crosier Bailey 13th January 1882 after default of mortgage transferred to Cann by executors of Ann Plummer 10th October 1856.

With earlier papers relating to the property and papers relating to the dispute between William Cann against Samuel Taylor and others concerning rights in the property, Assizes 1857-1859. The 1882 conveyance is engrossed with conveyance by Crosier Bailey and others to Wymondham Gas Light and Coke Co. of land in Fairland St. 27th November 1889.

Bundle endorsed 'Part to Wymondham Gas Co. Remdr cottages sold 1919'.

Conveyance by trustees of will of Elijah Crosier Bailey and others to Crosier Bailey, Arthur Bailey, John Cann Bailey and Leslie Bailey of public houses etc.

Brickmakers, Horsford; Canterbury, Westlegate Street, Norwich; Crown, Lakenham; Dolphin, Roudham; Fishing Boat, Gorleston; Green Dragon, Diss; Greenland Fishery, St Mary's Street, Norwich; Grocers Arms, Northumberland St. Heigham; Jolly Farmers, Holme Hale; Nags Head, Holme Hale; Nightingale (formerly Mechanics Tavern) Colegate Street, Norwich; Old Friends, Ber Street, Norwich; Oddfellows Arms, Swaffham Railway Hotel, Holme Hale; Star, Gorleton; Half Moon, Deopham; White Horse, Shropham; Causeway Tavern, Russell St., Heigham; Nelson Tavern, Bedford Street, Norwich; Lion, Hackford next Hingham with 31a. 1r. 16p. of land; Horse Shoes, Hempnall; land at Hempnall and Wymondham; moiety of Prince of Wales, Old Buckenham; Canterbury, The Denes, Yarmouth; Saddlers Arms, Row 45, Yarmouth; Bayswater Tavern, Albion Road, Yarmouth: [all being freehold]; Bakers Arms, Ashwellthorpe; Rising Sun, Castleacre; Horse Shoes, Shipdham; land occupied with Half Moon, Deopham [all being copyhold]. With assignments of leasehold properties: Fisherman's Arms and adjoining netchambers; warehouses etc. on Exmouth Road, Yarmouth leased from Yarmouth Corporation; Golden Dog with currier's shop (formerly a brewhouse) on Magdalen St. and Golden Dog Lane, Norwich, leased from Norwich Corporation. With endorsements re fish house at Gorleston (part of Fishing Boat p.h. property) 1891 and re Fisherman's Arms, Yarmouth 1891. 31st October 1887.

Title deeds, mortgages, copyhold papers relating to Watton Brewery estate conveyed by Thomas Crawshay Frost to Crosier Bailey and others

Property involved: Watton Brewery; Green Man, Watton; Bell, Saham Toney with 5a. 1r. 38p. of land; Coach and Horses, N. Pickenham; Star, W. Bradenham; Lord Nelson, E. Bradenham; White Horse, Shipdham; Cock, Ovington; Chequers, Sporle; Good Woman, Necton; plot of building land at Shipdham; Black Bull, E. Harling with arable land at Bailiwick Close; Ship and Anchor, Westfield with enclosure of land; Horse Shoes, Saham Toney; Dog and Partridge, Watton; White Horse, Carbrooke; Horse Shoes, Ashill with enclosure of land; Mill Inn, Stow Bedon; 'Cators', Saham Toney; New Inn, Watton; Bird in Hand, Caston; Bush, Yaxham. With trading interest in White Horse, Cressingham; George, Watton; Crown, Watton; Dog and Partridge, Wretham; Sayers, West Toft; Days Arms, Scoulton; Chequers, Thompson; Prince of Wales, Caston; Carpenters Arms, Watton; Chequers, Watton; Jolly Farmers, Carbrooke.

With note dated March 1918 that Brewery House and premises at Watton have been sold. 1891-1894, 1918.

Results 1 to 15 of 17