- 12th century-1855
The Gillingham Estate was acquired from the Everard family by Sir Nicholas Bacon, 1st Bart, of Redgrave about 1611. The present house dates from this time. The estate then went via Sir Nicholas' younger son Nicholas to the Bacon baronets of Gillingham from whom it passed by marriage in 1685 to the Bacon baronets of Mildenhall. Further marriages brought it to the Schutz family in 1755 and then through the Beresfords, Edens, Kenyons and Todhunters to the present owners. Other Bacon marriages account for the presence of records of the Butts, Weston, Rous and Crane families.
Sir Nicholas Bacon; c 1543-1624; 1st Baronet