File BL/CS 7/16/2 - Indenture, Revd Edmund Beddingfield of Bishops Cleeve, Gloucs, and Thomas Beddingfield of Darsham, Suffolk, grandchild and heir of Sir Thomas Beddingfield, late of Darsham, (2) Dr William Bell of St Sepulchre's London and Richard Masters of St Paul's Churchyard, draper, (3) Dr John Masters of St Martin in the Fields, Francis Gillow of London, John and Edmund Rolph of London, goldsmiths: sale of rent charge granted by Edmund Thorisby and son Thomas to Beddingfields, 1 Aug 1628, out of manor of Haveless in Mintlyn and other property in Mintlyn

Identity area

Reference code

BL/CS 7/16/2

Title

Indenture, Revd Edmund Beddingfield of Bishops Cleeve, Gloucs, and Thomas Beddingfield of Darsham, Suffolk, grandchild and heir of Sir Thomas Beddingfield, late of Darsham, (2) Dr William Bell of St Sepulchre's London and Richard Masters of St Paul's Churchyard, draper, (3) Dr John Masters of St Martin in the Fields, Francis Gillow of London, John and Edmund Rolph of London, goldsmiths: sale of rent charge granted by Edmund Thorisby and son Thomas to Beddingfields, 1 Aug 1628, out of manor of Haveless in Mintlyn and other property in Mintlyn

Date(s)

  • 29 Jun 1683 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

parchment

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

TAKEN FROM BLOMEFIELD: William, son of Richard, gave to the monks of Castleacre, his land at Agonalosa, which they formerly held of him, with one Rodulf, to which deed, Robert, son of William Milo Basset, Walter de Cheravilla, Rain. de Marham, Robert de Wibravilla, &c. were witnesses.
John, prior of Norwich, and all the convent, by deed, gave to the aforesaid monks, land at Mintlinghe, called Oggesland.
Henry, prior of Castleacre, gave to William, the prior of Linn, totam Hagnelosam, to be held for 24 years, at the yearly farm rent of 20s. and all their land in Mintlingis, which is held of the church of St. Margaret of Linn.
This deed is dated on the day after the feast of St. Margaret 1182; witnesses, William de Merlai, Ralph, the Bishop's chaplain, Ralph capellane, of Acre, Mr. Walter de Candue, Mr. Steph. de Binham, Mr. Roger de Norwic, William de Gernemue, &c.—By totam Hagnelosam, no doubt, was meant what was afterwards called Haveless in Mintling, where the seat of the Thorsbys was; and the prior of Lynn was obliged to pay 20s. per ann. at Castleacre, on the feast of Easter, and for default, a distrain might be made at Haclose, and Mintling.
In the 14th year of Edward I. mention is made of William and Henry de Havelose of Mintling.
From: 'Freebridge Hundred and Half: Mintling', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 8, pp. 425-439. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78487&strquery=hav Date accessed: 15 July 2013.
The Inclosure Act of 1808 states that 'William Bagge is or claims to be Lord or Owner of the Manor or reputed Manor of Havelesse in Mintlyn' [NRO, DCN 53/4/2].

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

740aa35a-9e28-4c7b-8308-c95ac329d104

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 10/03/2009 by Droip. Modified 01/08/2019 by Catherine.Collins.

Sources

Accession area