- 1872-1934 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The idea of a convalescent home at Hunstanton originated at a conference of clergy and laity at Ely in 1869. The first general meeting of subscribers and friends was held at King's Lynn in March 1872; the Home, offering 12 beds, was opened in June of that year in two rented houses in the High Street. A permanent building was built and opened in April 1879. Initially, there were 40 beds, but extensions over the next 25 years increased the accomodation to 100. The Prince Edward Home for Children was opened in 1907. Care was offered for working class people in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedfordshire and the adjacent counties, but by the early 1920s, patients were also coming from London and the Midlands. The Home closed in 1980.
Purchased in a Hunstanton book store in 2015. Donated to NRO 2019.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 15 March 2019 (ACC 2018/231). Catalogued July 2019 (LS).
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minutes of General Committee and Childrens Buildings Home Committee (1875-1921), Hunstanton Convalescent Home Minute book (1872-1927) and visitor book (1879-1930). Letter and newspaper cuttings have been inserted loose within the minute books
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 31/07/2019 by Luke.Shackell. Modified 21/08/2019 by Droip.