Howards Manor; 1189-1925; Terrington St Clement, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Howards Manor; 1189-1925; Terrington St Clement, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Terrington Howards Howells

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



William Howard had bought all three parts of the manor by 1308. John Howard is one of two lords in Terrington in the Nomina Villarum of 1316 (the other being the Bishop of Ely). An IPM of 1388-9 states that Sir Robert Howard had granted the manor to William de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, in 1379-80 [IPM 16/701]. However, Sir John Howard was lord at his death in 1437, leaving it to his son Henry. henry's heir, his daughter Elizabeth, married Henry Wentworth who died lord in 1482. Martin Fowlkes was lord in 1653 and the manor descended through this family, later spelled ffolkes.\r\nSir Martin Folkes is named as lord in the Inclosure Award of 1793 [NRO, C/Sce 1/8A].\r\nSir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nSir W.H.B. Ffolkes, bt, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1912; lord of the manor: Sir William Hovel Browne Folkes, bt; Steward: F.H. Partridge [TNA, HMC 5/6].


Terrington St Clement, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip




F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810)\r\nIPM Inquisitions Post Mortem\r\nW. White, 'History, Gazetteer, and Directory

Maintenance notes

Proven MDR
  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC