File NCR 24a/141 - Hospital of St Giles' Steward, Geoffrey Hall ('Alle')'s draft receipt and payment accounts

Identity area

Reference code

NCR 24a/141

Title

Hospital of St Giles' Steward, Geoffrey Hall ('Alle')'s draft receipt and payment accounts

Date(s)

  • nd [c 1429-1433] (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 paper gathering

Context area

Name of creator

(c 1249-)

Administrative history

Established in c 1249 by the then Bishop of Norwich, Walter Suffield and originally known as the Hospital of the Blessed Mary and St Giles, and afterwards, simply as St Giles's Hospital, Norwich, in the parish of St Helen in Holmstrete, now Bishopgate in Norwich.
Formerly known as St Giles' Hospital, the Great Hospital in Norwich is still a functioning charitable, residential institution and its archives extend from the thirteenth century to the twentieth century. Prior to the Municipal Reform Act of 1835, the Mayor and Corporation acted as trustees for a large number of City charities. The most ancient was the Great Hospital (founded by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in 1249), whose records are the largest and most complete of any of the City charities.
While most English hospitals were dissolved at the Reformation in the sixteenth century, the Great Hospital was one of very few which survived. On Henry VIII's death in 1547, it was surrendered to the new Protestant monarch, Edward VI. The Norwich city fathers, however, were sufficiently astute to recognize the important rôle which the Hospital might play in caring for the city's poor (who then posed a serious social problem). Edward VI succumbed to local pressure and returned the ownership of the Hospital and its possessions, land and property to the corporation, which then used it to prioritise and channel charitable work in the community. Thus, through its acquisition by the corporation, the Hospital continued to function and its records became part of the city archives.
By the terms of Edward VI's charter by letters patent in 1547, forty poor people were to be accommodated in the Hospital (then called 'God's House'), looked after by the keeper of the House and a team of four matrons or women keepers, but by the end of the century, the number had risen to 54. In 1633, owing to increased revenues, the numbers of inhabitants had increased to 86 though there were still only four women keepers. Seven years later, there were 95 inhabitants, looked after by five matrons. Of these inhabitants, the original 40 provided for by charter had been augmented by two paid for by legacies in Francis Rugg's will, two more by the will of Alderman Henry Fawcett and the remainder allowed by the mayor and aldermen because of the increase in revenues. Presumably finances were tight when in 1647, numbers were down to 71 and the team of matrons only four women, but by the early Commonwealth period, there were again 95 poor and five matrons. By 1685, a hundred poor folk were accommodated in the Hospital.
The Charity Commissioners finished their enquiry into the Norwich charities in 1833 and a copy of their printed report is to be found at N/TC 63/2. By a Chancery Order dated 18 March 1837, twenty-six Charity Trustees were appointed, with responsibility to manage the charities formerly in trust with the Corporation. The charities were divided into two lists: the Church List Charities (including the Great Hospital, the Free Grammar School, Archbishop Parker's Scholarships, the Preachers' Fund and various other smaller charities) and the General List Charities (including Doughty's Hospital, the Boys' Hospital, the Girls' Hospital, the Barnham Broom Estate and many other smaller charities).
A considerable number of charity records (many of them pre-1835) were deposited in the Record Office many years after the publication of Hudson and Tingey's Revised Catalogue of the Records of the City of Norwich in 1898. They interrelate with the records in the NCR collection and are listed at N/CCH and N/MC.
The medieval records of the Great Hospital were inscribed in the UNESCO UK Memory of the World Register in May 2011. The UK Memory of the World Register (established in 2010) helps to raise awareness of some of the UK’s exceptional, but lesser-known documentary riches by awarding them globally-recognised Memory of the World status.

Name of creator

(fl 1428-1429)

Biographical history

Ploughman and carter of the Lathes Estate in Norwich for St Giles' Hospital. The Lathes Estate, in and around St Augustine's parish, Norwich. Managed the Lathes estate for the Hospital and was employed to cart produce and materials to the Hospital from the Lathes and from their other estates in east Norfolk. Produced accounts and a journal of his carting activities, surviving partly in English.

Name of creator

(fl 1425-? 1458)

Biographical history

A brother priest at St Giles' Hospital, Holme Street, Norwich in the early 15th century. A clerk in holy orders, he served the hospital in a variety of offices, from being bailiff and surveyor to several of the hospital's country estate in the mid 1420s onwards, the hospital steward in the late 1420s, collector of its Norwich revenues in c 1430, and as its general receiver in the mid 1430s. Possibly the same Geoffrey Halle, rector of Ashby St Mary, administration of whose goods was granted in 1458 (NCC Will register, Brosyard 7).

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Re the costs of the 'house' with regard to estates in Cringleford, Costessey, Hardley and the Lathes in Norwich (including occasional references to John Boys, the carter of the Lathes. Undated, but with references to, 'years 8-11' [of Henry VI's reign].

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Previously part of NCR Case 24b/46.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

UFP

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • Latin
  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Unfit for production, the paper being darkened and stained through old water damage with crumbling edges, especially so at the head of each folio.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

CALM RefNo

NCR/24/1/5/1

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

c4262ae2-c9f8-436a-8ee6-3e4df9708d35

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 31/03/2017 by Drott. Modified 18/09/2019 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area