Hospital of St Giles; c 1249-1547; Norwich, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hospital of St Giles; c 1249-1547; Norwich, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • aka St Helen's Hospital, later (after the re-foundation 1547, variously known as God's House, the Great Hospital

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

c 1249-1547


Founded as the Hospital of St Giles by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in c 1249 for the support of an establishment of a master, four lay brothers and four sisters (who were to undertake the actual caring and practical work) as well as four chaplains to celebrate divine service for the founder's soul in the chapel at the Hospital, all for the maintenance in the hospital, ' long as they live...' of poor and infirm priests in the diocese, the feeding and instruction in grammar of seven poor scholars and for feeding 13 other poor people daily. Within twenty years of the foundation, additional endowments from wealthy men such as William de Dunwich, enabled the hospital to support five sick paupers, and by 1451, a surviving licence in mortmain includes a description of the Hospital's establishment as a master, eight chaplains, two clerks, seven poor scholar choristers, eight disabled poor in beds with 13 poor at the doors fed daily with a meal and warmed before the Hospital's chimney, and two serving sisters.


Norwich, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Norwich Diocese

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 12/12/2018 by Drott




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC