Fonds BR 251 - Gunton Bros of Costessey, Ornamental brick and mouldings manufacturers

Identity area

Reference code

BR 251


Gunton Bros of Costessey, Ornamental brick and mouldings manufacturers


  • 1903-1907 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

2 pieces

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

George Gunton began making ornamental bricks and terracotta at Costessey in the 1840s and by the 1870s was known throughout East Anglia as a maker of fine mouldings, and especially of window tracery and chimney brickwork. He died in 1890 but his son and grandson, both named William, continued the firm under the name of Gunton Bros., originally at Costessey and then after the 1st World War at the brickworks in Little Plumstead. Other brickyards at Barney and Runton were also operated in tandem with the Costessey and Little Plumstead yards but all were closed in 1939 when wartime, black-out restrictions forced William Herbert Gunton to wind up his business.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 8 December 1971 (MS 33578). Catalogue completed (TT).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 03/07/2000 by Droip. Modified 25/02/2019 by Catherine.Collins.


Accession area