File DCN 63/2 - Grouped manor court book of Norwich Holy Trinity inscribed 'Miscellaneous Entries No. 1'

Identity area

Reference code

DCN 63/2

Title

Grouped manor court book of Norwich Holy Trinity inscribed 'Miscellaneous Entries No. 1'

Date(s)

  • 1503-1508 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Herbert, 1101; the prior of Norwich is named as lord in the Nomina Villarum of 1316. Passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; confirmed in the 'refoundation' charter of 1547; Church Commisioners. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are named as lords in the Inclosure Act of 1811 and Award of 1813 [ NRO, DCN 53/5/2; C/Sca 2/152].\r\nLord Hastings is given as lord of the manor, as leasee of the Dean and Chapter, in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nLord Hastings is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1886; lord of the manor: Ecclesiastical Commissioners; Steward: W.T. Bensly [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Herbert, 1101; passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; confirmed in the 'refoundation' charter of 1547. Church Commisioners.\r\nThe Dean and Chapter of Norwich are named as lords of the manor in the Inclosure Award of 1817 [C/Sca 2/153].\r\nThe Dean and Chapter of Norwich are given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1895; lord of the manor: ?; Steward: ? [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nThe Duchy of Lancaster held the jurisdiction for the leet court in the town of Hindringham [NRO, MS 19752-3].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Turbe, mid 12th century; the Prior of Norwich is named as lord of Snettisham in the Nomina Villarum of 1316. Passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; confirmed in the 'refoundation' charter of 1547. Church Commisioners. The Dean and Chapter are named as lords of the manor of Sedgeford in the Inclosure Award of 1797. This includes East Hall farm, so the manor of Gnatingdon has become merged with Sedgeford manor. [NRO, C/Sce 1/5].\r\nEcclesiastical Commissioners are given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1872; lord of the manor: Eccl Comm; Steward: Wm Foster [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Herbert, 1101; passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; retained by the Crown at the refoundation, 1547; Land Tax Assessment of 1695 gives ...;\r\nThomas Grove, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nMr Capon is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1874; lord of the manor: Charles Henry Capon; Steward: Jas Chiddick [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Herbert, 1101; the prior of Norwich is named as lord in the Nomina Villarum of 1316. Passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; retained by the Crown at the refoundation, 1547; granted to Duke of Northumberland, lost by him on his execution in 1553. Regranted to Earl of Leicester in 1562.\r\nRobert Copeman, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nGeorge R. Copeman , Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor was owned by Norwich Cathedral priory and its successor body the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. It lay north of the river in Norwich and after the Reformation is often treated as one manor with Normans, also owned by the Dean and Chapter. The manor is described in the Parliamentary Survey of 1649.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor was granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Herbert, 1101. It passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are given as lords of the manor in White's Trade Directories [1845 and 1883].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Newton manor was given to Norwich Cathedral Priory by Godric dapifer and his wife Ingreda in about 1106. The Prior of Norwich is named as lord of Trowsw with Newton in the Nomina Villarum of 1316.Passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; confirmed in the 'refoundation' charter of 1547. Church Commissioners; the Dean and Chapter are given as lords of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). It passed to the Ecclesiastical Comissioners who sold it to J J Colman in 1885. In 1897 he sold it to J&J Colman Ltd.\r\nDean and Chapter of Norwich given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1886; lords of the manor: Jeremiah James Colman, Frederick Edward Colman, Jeremiah Colman and Russell James Colman; Steward: W.H. Tillett [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

A Norwich Cathedral manor; passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538;

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

A manor of the Bishop of Norwich, taken from the bishopric and vested in the King, 1535. In private hands from 16th century. George Hogg is named in the Thornham Inclosure Award of 1797 as lord of the manor of Thornham [NRO, C/Sce 1/5].
Thornham manor had members in Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalene and St Peter.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by Norwich Cathedral priory of the Bishop of Norwich; passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; confirmed in the 'refoundation' charter of 1547, which (according to Bryant) was when the name North Elmham Dean and Chapter is first recorded). Held later by the Church Commisioners. The Dean and Chapter manor is one of two manors in North Elmham mentioned in the Inclosure Award of 1831, the other being North Elmham Nowers [C/Sca 2/105].\r\nThe Dean and Chapter held the manor into the nineteenth century (White's Trade Directory 1845).\r\nThe Dean and Chapter of Norwich is given as lord of the manor in White's Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor was granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Alan, son of Flaald, in the early twelfth century. It then passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter in 1538; confirmed in the 'refoundation' charter of 1547.\r\nAccording to the MAF's list of known manors, compiled in 1925, the last transaction was dated 1876 and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners were lord; the steward's name is not given [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Thomas William Coke is named as lord of this manor and three others in Wells and Warham in the Inclosure Act of 1811 [NRO, BR 90/28/1]\r\nThe Earl of Leicester is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe Earl of Leicester is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The property of Norwich cathedral priory; the manor was farmed by John Milicent at the point of the peasant uprisings in 1381. The manor passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; retained by the Crown at the refoundation, 1547; \r\nJohn, Lord Wodehouse is named as lord in the Wicklewood Inclosure Award of 1808 [NRO, C/Sca 2/33].\r\nLord Wodehouse is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe Earl of Kimberley, given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1895; lord of the manor: Earl of Kimberley; Steward: George Forrester [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nAccording to the Inland Revenue list of 1925, the Earl of Kimberley was lord and Daynes, Son and Keefe the stewards.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; retained by the Crown at the refoundation, 1547. Edward Ward holds his first court, as brother of Thomas Ward deceased, in 1694 and occurs as lord in 1719, 1738; Dame Susan Ward occurs as lady 1739 [NRO, NRS 2505,2506].\r\nEarl of Rosebery is named as lord of Great Plumstead Postwick with Craneleys in the Inclosure Act of 1810 [MC 2907/8]\r\nJoseph Muskett, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in a minute book of 1830 and in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nJ.T. Mott, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor was granted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Herbert, 1101; passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; confirmed in the 'refoundation' charter of 1547. The manor was leased to the Mingay family in the sixteenth century and to the Herne family in the seventeenth century. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are named as lords in the Inclosure Act of 1800 [NRO, BR 90/53/1] and in White's Trade Directories, 1845 and 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Lordship of the Manor \r\nGranted to Norwich Cathedral priory by Bishop Herbert, 1101; passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; retained by the Crown at the refoundation, 1547.\r\nFirst court of Richard Catlyn, esq., son and heir apparent of Thomas Catlyn, esq., 7 Oct 1617\r\nJohn Chapman 28 May 1632\r\nFirst court of George Lord Berkeley and Sir William Withypoll 5 Apr 1641\r\nFirst court of George Berkeley, esq., and Mrs Cecilia Massenbergh, widow, 9 May 1654\r\nFirst court of George Berkeley, esq., 2 Apr 1657\r\nFirst court of Richard Wright, gent., farmer/renter, 6 Jan 1665\r\nGeorge Earl Berkeley 28 July 1685\r\nFirst court of George Berkeley, esq., 1 Oct 1690\r\nJeremy Chaplyn, esq., and Jane, his wife, 21 Apr 1704\r\nJane Chaplin, widow, 25 Nov 1717\r\nLionel Spencer Berkeley, esq., 17 May 1751\r\nWilliam Crowe, esq., 17 Apr 1752\r\nFirst court of James Crowe, esq., 18 July 1793\r\nMargaret Trafford Southwell, widow, 9 Nov 1832\r\nEdward William Trafford, esq., 15 Dec 1842\r\nLast transaction dated: 1878; lord of the manor: Edward William Trafford; Steward: J.M. Robberds [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Covers manors of Hindolveston, Hindringham, Sedgeford, Martham, Hemsby, Pockthorpe, Catton, Newton, Scratby, Thornham, North Elmham, Eaton, Normans, Wicklewood, Plumstead, Arminghall, Lakenham, Aldeby. 18-23 Henry VII.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

On microfilm MF/X 178/7.

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

d3564b3d-97df-4563-9000-fde8f47bf1dc

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 27/11/2001 by Droip. Modified 12/03/2018 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area