Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Gressenhall Manor; 1189-1925; Gressenhall, Norfolk
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Gresenhall North Soken
- Gresenhall South Soken
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Richard son of Richard Folyot died in possession holding of John de Warrene, Earl of Surrey and Sussex, 1344-5, heirs his sisters Marjery and Margaret [IPM 6/618]. At an inquisition taken in 1488, Hugh Hastings was found to have been in possession of the manor, holding it of the king's duchy of Lancaster. John was his son and heir [IPM H7 1/188].\r\nOwned by the L'Estrange family of Hunstanton Hall: court books record first court of Elizabeth L'Estrange in 1570. The executors of Nicholas L'Estrange hold the court in 1595. Sir Hamon L'Estrange occurs as lord 1640, 1649; Dame Anne, relict of Sir Nicholas L'Estrange, in 1656. The manor was settled on Elizabeth Calthorpe in 1721. Under her will it came to Thomas L'Estrange in 1747. After his death in 1751 it passed to Sir Henry L'Estrange and in 1783 to Sir Edward Astley who sold it to John Hill of Wells. [source; Carthew's History of Launditch (1897)].\r\nJohn Hill is named in the Inclosure Act of 1811 as 'Lord of the several manors of Gressenhall on the Part of North Soken, Gressenhall on the Part of South Soken, and Rougholme' [NRO, NRS 15668].\r\nJ.D.H. Hill, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe executors of J.D.H. Hill are given as lords of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nThe manor was divided into North Soken and South Soken: that part later called South Soken is sometimes simply called Gressenhall in 15th century rolls [eg, NRO ING 124, 126]. By the 19th century, they are sometimes described as two separate manors, especially in rentals [NRO, MC 2381/1: MC 2056/24].\r\nThe two elements of 'North Soken' and 'South Soken'are sometimes treated almost as two manors.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Rentals show that North Soken extended into the parishes of Stanfield, Horningtoft, Brisley, East Bilney and Beetley, all to the north of the parish of Gressenhall. South Soken extended into the neighbouring parishes of Hoe, Scarning, Great Bittering and Great Fransham (lands of Necton feoffees only in the last).
Blomefield says that if a tenant was admitted to lands within one soke he paid a fine of 5 shillings, if the land was in both sokes he paid 10 shillings.
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip
F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810)\r\nIPM Inquisitions Post Mortem\r\nW. White, 'History, Gazetteer, and Directory