- 1556-1905 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Until 1836, the public charities of Great Yarmouth were administered by the Corporation but following the Municipal Corporations Act of that year, they were vested in Charity Trustees.
The Old Grammar School
In 1797, a room in St Mary's Hospital, which had previously been used as a grammar school, was turned over to the overseers to be let for the benefit of the Children's Hospital.
The Children's Hospital
Funding the Hospital and workhouse began due to a contract between Mr Edward Owner and the Corporation in 1650. A fund was established which eventually purchased an estate which was able to support 50 children living at the hospital and in 1813 100 day pupils joined the boarders.
In 1703, the Corporation funded the building of a hospital for disabled fishermen and fishermen's widows. The hospital was mainly funded out of beer duties, but also from gifts by John and Rachel Fuller, Elizabeth Blennerhasset, Benjamin Jolly, John Lacon, Robert Warmington, Eleanor Wright, Gabriel Milleson and Susan Master. The hospital and its affairs were managed by an annually elected committee.
By his will of 1694, Revd Edward Warnes gave all his property and lands for the use of the poor. The rents were duly distributed amongst the poor, especially widows, orphans and the sick, in Easter and Christmas weeks.
By Indenture of Bagain and Sale in 1608, Sir William Paston bargained and sold the late dissolved free chapel in Caister Holy Trinity, with all its lands and tithes, with the intent that out of the profits 40s. should be paid yearly for relief of Caister's poor and £8 for Great Yarmouth's poor. These monies were duly distributed amongst the poor during Easter and Christmas weeks.
By his will of 1762, Benjamin Jolly directed his executors to invest £500. The interest from £400 was to be distributed between 40 widows and the interest from the remaining £100 was used to purchase coal to be distributed amongst the poor in December.
By his will of 1641, Henry Davie left £30 to be lent out yearly to three poor young beginners for 1-2 years. He also left £100 for the maintenance of St Nicholas Church, 40s. per annum for the maintenance of the haven and another 40s. per annum to be distributed amongst 40 poor parishioners on 24 December.
By her will of around 1556, Catherine Rogers left £100 to be lent out yearly in sums of £5 or £10 to needy inhabitants.
By his will of around 1639, William Southwell left £30 to the Corporation to be lent yearly to honest, industrious, decaying persons of the 24 or 48 bretheren of the said Corporation.
(Charity Commissioners Norfolk Charities Report 1815-1835)
Other charities governed by the Great Yarmouth Charity Trust were Dawson's, Old Meeting Charity School, Packer's, Abbon's, Hall's, Colby's, Morse's, Pell's, Anderson's, Vesy's, Almshouses and Green's Charities. For more details see Charity Commissioners Norfolk Charities Report 1815-1835.
The earlier documents were in the custody of the Corporation until 1836 when the documents were handed over to the Charity Trustees. At an unknown date after 1905 the earlier documents were placed in the Borough Library.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Roger's Charity; Children's Hospital; Fishermen's Hospital; and Charity Trustees.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used