- Feb 1776-May 1825 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 large volume
Name of creator
Established in c 1249 by the then Bishop of Norwich, Walter Suffield and originally known as the Hospital of the Blessed Mary and St Giles, and afterwards, simply as St Giles's Hospital, Norwich, in the parish of St Helen in Holmstrete, now Bishopgate in Norwich.
Formerly known as St Giles' Hospital, the Great Hospital in Norwich is still a functioning charitable, residential institution and its archives extend from the thirteenth century to the twentieth century. Prior to the Municipal Reform Act of 1835, the Mayor and Corporation acted as trustees for a large number of City charities. The most ancient was the Great Hospital (founded by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in 1249), whose records are the largest and most complete of any of the City charities.
While most English hospitals were dissolved at the Reformation in the sixteenth century, the Great Hospital was one of very few which survived. On Henry VIII's death in 1547, it was surrendered to the new Protestant monarch, Edward VI. The Norwich city fathers, however, were sufficiently astute to recognize the important rôle which the Hospital might play in caring for the city's poor (who then posed a serious social problem). Edward VI succumbed to local pressure and returned the ownership of the Hospital and its possessions, land and property to the corporation, which then used it to prioritise and channel charitable work in the community. Thus, through its acquisition by the corporation, the Hospital continued to function and its records became part of the city archives.
By the terms of Edward VI's charter by letters patent in 1547, forty poor people were to be accommodated in the Hospital (then called 'God's House'), looked after by the keeper of the House and a team of four matrons or women keepers, but by the end of the century, the number had risen to 54. In 1633, owing to increased revenues, the numbers of inhabitants had increased to 86 though there were still only four women keepers. Seven years later, there were 95 inhabitants, looked after by five matrons. Of these inhabitants, the original 40 provided for by charter had been augmented by two paid for by legacies in Francis Rugg's will, two more by the will of Alderman Henry Fawcett and the remainder allowed by the mayor and aldermen because of the increase in revenues. Presumably finances were tight when in 1647, numbers were down to 71 and the team of matrons only four women, but by the early Commonwealth period, there were again 95 poor and five matrons. By 1685, a hundred poor folk were accommodated in the Hospital.
The Charity Commissioners finished their enquiry into the Norwich charities in 1833 and a copy of their printed report is to be found at N/TC 63/2. By a Chancery Order dated 18 March 1837, twenty-six Charity Trustees were appointed, with responsibility to manage the charities formerly in trust with the Corporation. The charities were divided into two lists: the Church List Charities (including the Great Hospital, the Free Grammar School, Archbishop Parker's Scholarships, the Preachers' Fund and various other smaller charities) and the General List Charities (including Doughty's Hospital, the Boys' Hospital, the Girls' Hospital, the Barnham Broom Estate and many other smaller charities).
A considerable number of charity records (many of them pre-1835) were deposited in the Record Office many years after the publication of Hudson and Tingey's Revised Catalogue of the Records of the City of Norwich in 1898. They interrelate with the records in the NCR collection and are listed at N/CCH and N/MC.
The medieval records of the Great Hospital were inscribed in the UNESCO UK Memory of the World Register in May 2011. The UK Memory of the World Register (established in 2010) helps to raise awareness of some of the UK’s exceptional, but lesser-known documentary riches by awarding them globally-recognised Memory of the World status.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Includes the copy texts of leases from the Mayor, Sheriffs, Citizens and Commanalty (the Corporation) of the City of Norwich of Great Hospital (and occasionally, Doughty's Hospital) estates in Norwich and Norfolk. The leases are generally, though not always strictly, in chronological order. Indexed alphabetically by tenants' names at the rear of the volume.
Also includes copies of other instruments, such as, the appointment of Robert Cubitt, bailiff to the Great Hospital estates, 1777 (pp.9-10), the Dean and Chapter's lease to the Corporation of the Great Granary premises in the Cathedral Close, 1793 (pp.226-230), memoranda of Assembly nominations to the Curacy of Cringleford (p.373) the Curacy of Hardley (p.559) the Curacy of St Etheldred's Norwich (p.561), the Corporation's presentation of Rev. James Browne Tompson to the vicarage of Shropham Church, 1801 (p.376), the presentation of Rev. Thomas Watson to the Rectory of Thurlton, 1821 (p.558), the presentation of Rev. Robert John Francis to the Rectory of Carleton St Mary, 1822 (p.560), and a feoffment to new trustees for Francis Rugg's gift to the Great Hospital, 1824 (pp.565-570).
On the original flyleaf, 'London Lane, Norwich'.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Large brown buckram covered paper volume, with frail paper at edges of, in particular, early folios and evidence of some re-edging having taken place (probably when the book was rebound in the ?1930s). Paginated 1-8, foliated 9-13 and paginated 13-709.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 08/01/2007 by Droip. Modified 06/11/2019 by Catherine.Collins.