- 1895-1935 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Parish councils were formed under the Local Government Act 1894. They took over the civic and social welfare duties of existing groups hitherto based around ecclesiastical parishes (notably the overseers of the poor). Records of parish charities managing commons under distribution of land as a consequence of the Enclosure Acts can often be found in parish council records.
They are elected bodies, usually on a four year cycle. The number of councilors varies according to the population of the parish.
Parish Councils tend to be responsible for the provision of such facilities as village halls, recreation grounds and children's play areas. They have a legal right to be consulted and to comment on all planning applications in their areas.
Gaywood Parish Council was absorbed into the Borough of King's Lynn in 1935.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minutes of the Parish Council and Parochial Committee along with allotment plans and accounts.
It was absorbed into King's Lynn Borough Council in 1935. The records were held by the Town Clerk of Lynn for reference.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 21/11/2019 by Luke.Shackell. Modified 26/11/2019 by Luke.Shackell.