Série NCR 24b/1-2 - Foundation, endowment, litigation and early administrative records

Zona de identificação

Código de referência

NCR 24b/1-2

Título

Foundation, endowment, litigation and early administrative records

Data(s)

  • 1250-1838 (Produção)

Nível de descrição

Série

Dimensão e suporte

5 boxes

Zona do contexto

Nome do produtor

(c 1249-)

História administrativa

Established in c 1249 by the then Bishop of Norwich, Walter Suffield and originally known as the Hospital of the Blessed Mary and St Giles, and afterwards, simply as St Giles's Hospital, Norwich, in the parish of St Helen in Holmstrete, now Bishopgate in Norwich.
Formerly known as St Giles' Hospital, the Great Hospital in Norwich is still a functioning charitable, residential institution and its archives extend from the thirteenth century to the twentieth century. Prior to the Municipal Reform Act of 1835, the Mayor and Corporation acted as trustees for a large number of City charities. The most ancient was the Great Hospital (founded by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in 1249), whose records are the largest and most complete of any of the City charities.
While most English hospitals were dissolved at the Reformation in the sixteenth century, the Great Hospital was one of very few which survived. On Henry VIII's death in 1547, it was surrendered to the new Protestant monarch, Edward VI. The Norwich city fathers, however, were sufficiently astute to recognize the important rôle which the Hospital might play in caring for the city's poor (who then posed a serious social problem). Edward VI succumbed to local pressure and returned the ownership of the Hospital and its possessions, land and property to the corporation, which then used it to prioritise and channel charitable work in the community. Thus, through its acquisition by the corporation, the Hospital continued to function and its records became part of the city archives.
By the terms of Edward VI's charter by letters patent in 1547, forty poor people were to be accommodated in the Hospital (then called 'God's House'), looked after by the keeper of the House and a team of four matrons or women keepers, but by the end of the century, the number had risen to 54. In 1633, owing to increased revenues, the numbers of inhabitants had increased to 86 though there were still only four women keepers. Seven years later, there were 95 inhabitants, looked after by five matrons. Of these inhabitants, the original 40 provided for by charter had been augmented by two paid for by legacies in Francis Rugg's will, two more by the will of Alderman Henry Fawcett and the remainder allowed by the mayor and aldermen because of the increase in revenues. Presumably finances were tight when in 1647, numbers were down to 71 and the team of matrons only four women, but by the early Commonwealth period, there were again 95 poor and five matrons. By 1685, a hundred poor folk were accommodated in the Hospital.
The Charity Commissioners finished their enquiry into the Norwich charities in 1833 and a copy of their printed report is to be found at N/TC 63/2. By a Chancery Order dated 18 March 1837, twenty-six Charity Trustees were appointed, with responsibility to manage the charities formerly in trust with the Corporation. The charities were divided into two lists: the Church List Charities (including the Great Hospital, the Free Grammar School, Archbishop Parker's Scholarships, the Preachers' Fund and various other smaller charities) and the General List Charities (including Doughty's Hospital, the Boys' Hospital, the Girls' Hospital, the Barnham Broom Estate and many other smaller charities).
A considerable number of charity records (many of them pre-1835) were deposited in the Record Office many years after the publication of Hudson and Tingey's Revised Catalogue of the Records of the City of Norwich in 1898. They interrelate with the records in the NCR collection and are listed at N/CCH and N/MC.
The medieval records of the Great Hospital were inscribed in the UNESCO UK Memory of the World Register in May 2011. The UK Memory of the World Register (established in 2010) helps to raise awareness of some of the UK’s exceptional, but lesser-known documentary riches by awarding them globally-recognised Memory of the World status.

Entidade detentora

História do arquivo

Fonte imediata de aquisição ou transferência

Zona do conteúdo e estrutura

Âmbito e conteúdo

A 'portmanteau' grouping including copies of the first and second foundation charters and the will of Bishop Walter de Suffield, copies of rules and confirmations of them by bishops and popes, copies of the wills of early major donors to the Hospital, cause papers, records of the institution of various masters, agreements and letters patents (being royal pardons and licences to alienate (grant or sell) estates to the hospital), and which also includes early cartularies, such as the Liber Domus Dei.

Avaliação, selecção e eliminação

Ingressos adicionais

Sistema de organização

Now divided between the records of the independent medieval hospital, and those of the City on behalf of God's House (aka the Great Hospital):
Medieval foundation of St Giles' Hospital-NCR 24b/1/1-56
Edwardian foundation of the city charity of God's House-NCR 24b/2/1-34

Note: Where references have been altered, superseded references may be found in NROCAT using the only dialogue box in the 'Quick Search' option, or the 'Any Text' box in the 'Advanced Search' option.

Zona de condições de acesso e utilização

Condições de acesso

Condiçoes de reprodução

Idioma do material

  • latim

Script do material

Notas ao idioma e script

Características físicas e requisitos técnicos

Instrumentos de descrição

See separate calendar on cards in Searchroom.

Zona de documentação associada

Existência e localização de originais

Existência e localização de cópias

Unidades de descrição relacionadas

For charters, see MS 12044-12168, 30E1, 30E2.
For papal bull, 1251, and additional royal charters and letters patent, 1547-1547, see N/MC 15.
For other medieval records of the hospital's endowment and suits, see PHI 514-526.

Descrições relacionadas

Zona das notas

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo da descrição

Identificador da descrição

fb8de516-6f73-4c5b-84dc-20d8fca09b59

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

Estatuto

Catalogued

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão, eliminação

Created 31/08/2007 by Droip. Modified 03/12/2018 by Droip.

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Géneros relacionados

Locais relacionados