Ferryside, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

  • Ferryside is a large house constructed in 1880 on earlier foundations by Edward Henry Harvey Combe. From 1901 to 1939 it was occupied by a succession of medical men: Doctors James Ryley, Charles Meadows Ryley, William Wyllys Junior, Henry Wyllys and Leonard Ley. In 1939 Ferryside was requisitioned by the Government for use by as the Fire Brigade Headquarters. It was acquired by Great Yarmouth Borough Council in 1947 and was used as Ferryside Children's Home, 1951-1960. The building and grounds then had a shared use by five Borough Council departments: Great Yarmouth Register Office, Fire Brigade, Welfare Services, Children's Department, and Weights and Measures. The Register Office moved to new accommodation at the Central Library, Tolhouse Street, in 2011, and Ferryside was sold in 2013.

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Ferryside, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Ferryside, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Equivalent terms

Ferryside, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Associated terms

Ferryside, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

1 Results for Ferryside, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

1 results directly related Exclude narrower terms