- 1616-1952 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Name of creator
The two companies amalgamated in 1962 to become the East Anglian Water Company. The merger was sanctioned by the East Anglian Water Order 1962, using the powers of the Water Act 1945. By this time the Lowestoft Water and Gas Company was known as the Lowestoft Water Company, as all gas companies had been nationalised in 1948. A further change of name occurred on 18 January 1991, when it became Suffolk Water plc, and the new company was taken over by Essex Water on 8 April 1994, to become Essex and Suffolk Water plc. Both constituent companies were owned by the French company, Lyonnaise des Eaux-Dumez at that time.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
EAW 1 Sea Breach Commissioners for Norfolk
EAW 2 Commissioners of Sewers for the Eastern Hundreds of Norfolk
EAW 3 Acts of Parliament and various official documents
EAW 4 Fisheries
EAW 5 East Norfolk Rivers Catchment Board
EAW 6 Commissioners under the Waveney Valley Drainage Act, 1866
Records transferred to Suffolk Record Office
EAW 7 Trustees of Stowmarket Navigation. Transferred to
EAW 8 East Suffolk Rivers Catchment Board.
EAW 9 Blyth Navigation.
EAW 10 River Blyth Internal Drainage Board.
EAW 11 Commissioners of Sewers for the Level of Falkenham and Felixstowe.
EAW 12 Minsmere Level.
EAW 13 Sea-Breach Commissioners for Suffolk.
EAW 14 Commissioners of Sewers for the hundreds of Blything, Mutford, Lothingland and Wangford.