File BL/MD 6 - East and West Rudham, Tatterford and Tattersett

Identity area

Reference code

BL/MD 6

Title

East and West Rudham, Tatterford and Tattersett

Date(s)

  • 12th century-16th century (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 volume

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Manor of Coxford owned by Coxford priory [Swales]. The first court of Thomas, duke of Norfolk, was held on 8 Sep 1558 (NRO, BL/MD 6). The Earl of Leicester is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). William Foster, Esq. was his steward and the court leet and baron were held in October. The Earl of Leicester is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The Inclosure Act of 1819 for East Rudham, West Rainham and Helhoughton names John Townshend and Robert Blake, trustees of estate of late Marquis Townshend, as lords of this and nine other manors within these parishes [C/Sca 2/229].\r\nLord Charles Townshend is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe Marquis of Townshend, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883).\r\nLast transaction dated: 1921; lord of the manor: Marquis of Townshend; Steward: Ratcliffe Pope [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

(1) Grant by John son of Robert de West Rudham, and Roger his brother, to Robert son of Ralph of same vill of 3 perches of land in the fields of West Rudham near Suthill, with power to sell except to religious houses [TT.19], [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(2) Writ of Henry II commanding that Michael Belet should have without disturbance a Monday market at Rudham, formerly held on Wednesday. Date added in pencil [?13.2]. c 1175 (1 parchment)
(3) Confirmation by Geffrey de Say to the church of St Mary of Rudham and the canons serving God there of the grants in alms by William de Cayneto and John his nepos of the two churches of Rudham, the lay land that Brun' and William the priest held, the gardens of Fredo and Gowun and Ailmar, the mill of Cokesford, the fishpond and all of Caldwellewogd, the land btween Caldewelle and the water of Thatersethd, all Ketelmerewagd, all Moremereswagd, a faldsoke within [?]Puest' of 300, all the land of Sumerled, the priest and his service, Ralph son of Wimer and his land, Gowin the scriptor and his land, Ailwin and his land, Silvericus son of Wimer and his land, the mill of the fishpond of Torp and the fishpond, Gowin and Elvin his brother dwelling beside the mill, and half the grove of Besefen that is outside the park and land of Cokeswde. Geoffrey also grants for the souls of Aliz his wife and of his parents and ancestors the church of St Margaret of Thorp next Repps and 40 pence from his mill of the wood (de Bosco), he providing oil to sustain a lamp above her tomb and the canons to say an annual mass for her soul, that of his father William de Say and those of his parents and ancestors, for Geoffrey himself, and for all faithful departed [TT.17], [late 12th century] (1 parchment)
(4) Grant in free alms addressed to his men and friends, French and English, by William Velt' of Burnham to the church of St Mary of Rudham and the canons serving there of a messuage in Ulpegate that was Reginald Debbe's, for the health of his soul and for those of his father and mother and of all his ancestors 'et ut omnes mei sint participes omnium beneficiorum predicte ecclesie'. Pressmark .f. [TT.20]. [mid 12th century] (1 parchment)
(5) Grant by Eustace son of Henry de Fereres to Iueta his sister of 6a. 1p. in fields of Rudham at Greneho that John son of Wimer gave Henry the grantor's father with Cecilia his mother. Not to sell to religious houses. [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(6) Quitclaim by Martin Horam of Rudham to Ralph Ostriz of right in 2s. 3d. yearly rent from land that Robert his father sold to Simon Ralph's father that paid 1d. to 40s. scutage, [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(7) Quitclaim in her widowhood by Salerna who was wife of John le Berri to Henry son of Godfrey de Helgetone of right by reason of dower to land in the fields of Rudham to which John established title by royal writ before A. de Ratonia and his fellows at Norwich in 1250-1251 [TT.18], [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(8) Rental, West Rudham, Oxwick, Syderstone and Pagrave. On dorse John, prior of Coxford [TT.2]. [early-mid 15th century] (1 parchment)
(9) Grant by Edmund [-] of West Rudham to Henry son of John de Helge[ton] of 5d. annual rent owed by John, Henry's father, for a piece of land in East Rudham near the highway from Coxford Priory [TT.4], 6 July 1299 (1 parchment)
(10) Agreement between Wiliam de Hemptone, prior, and the convent of Coxford, and William Knout of East Rudham that he should common in their bruery called Broclinges in East Rudham and in 20a. arable near the bruery at Herteshowe with 300 sheep or cullets ('siue culant.') and to tathe all his land in the said 20a. with his fold as he pleased, paying one pound of cumin yearly. They agree not to empark within the bruery or dig or harvest the heath ('bruer' colligant'), Coxford [TT.5]. 29 Jan 1338 (1 parchment)
(11) Grant by John Faber of Waterden to Nicholas Maup[as] and Peter chaplain, John's son, of a piece of land in the field of Rudham near Flaxlond. [-]9 Edward III, 14th century (1 faded parchment)
(12) Acknowledgment of receipt by the prior and convent of Castleacre of 13s. 4d. from Coxford Priory for tithes in West Rudham, 20 Oct 1348 (1 damaged parchment)
(13) Grant by William Myllere of East Rudham and William Parker, chaplain, to John Bacheler of West Rudham, Thomas Donge of Wisbech, Robert Wolleres of Whittlesea and Geoffrey Schepherd of Bilney near Winch, of a messuage near the churchyard in East Rudham called Trenthemeres had from John Woodhous esq., John Warner, burgess of Lynn, and others (named), 12 Feb 1429 (1 parchment)
(14) Grant by [-] Susant alias Patrik, William Wales, burgess of Lynn, and Robert Household to Robert Myott, lately of Lynn, Roger Townesende, John Norton of South Creake and Henry Russell of same property, had from William Fuller of Little Walsingham and Richard and John Norton of South Creake, 7 Jan 1474 (1 damaged parchment)
(15) Manor of Houghton, estreat, 23 Oct 1539 (paper)
(16) Manor of Tittleshall Coxford, estreat [TT.29], 27 Oct 1539 ( paper)
(17) Manor of East Rudham, extent taken at first court of Thomas, duke of Norfolk [TT.30], 8 Sep 1558 (2 papers)
(18) Manor of East Rudham, estreat [TT.27], 7 Apr 1563 (paper)
(19) Assignment by Edward Hunte of East Rudham to John Smyth of a 60 year lease dated 26 June 1534 from the prior and convent of Coxford to Thomas Flowerdew esq. of East Rudham of a house called the Dragon in East Rudham, as security for the delivery of 155 comb of barley to Smyth's use at Burnham Staithe, 3 Feb 1588 (stained paper)
(20) Extent of the sheep pasture and lands of Thomas Russell gent. in West Rudham to be assured to Sir Michael Stanhope and others 'sett downe by Mr Edward Symons and Mr Waterman' (Thomas Waterman the land surveyor) [TT.31], June 1609 (paper)
(21) Grant in free alms by Reginald de Estrudham, chaplain, for good of his soul and those of his ancestors and successors, to the church of Blessed Mary of Coxford and the canons serving God there of all his lands in the vills and fields of Tatterford and Tattersett of the gift of Hugh Hare and Matilda his daughter. He also grants them the rent that Nicholas de Schireford and others used to pay him for the tenement of Hugh and Matilda's fee, the land he held of John son of the parson of Tatterford in the fields of Tatterford, the tenement he held of Alan Hare in said fields, the tenement he held of Brune widow of Robert le Fuheler in Tatterford, and the tenement he held of Roger the clerk of Tatterford. Pressmark C. [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(22) Grant by Roger son of John Pituin of Great Raynham to Richard son of Alan Godknape for 14s. of a piece of land in Raynham lying near the common pastures of Thornes and Suthmor. Not to sell to men of religion. Seal tag cut from 13th-century text. [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(23) Grant by Robert son of Reginald Pullieys of Tatterford to Henry son of Godfrey de Helegetuna of 3a. land in the fields of Tatterford, viz Goreland near the way at Suthmilne, his liberty in his marsh of Estmor from the mill of Tatterford to the water that was Henry de Hauuill's, that is, fishing with a boat, collecting hay (herba) with a boat, digging turves in said marsh, feeding beasts between the mill and the old water, to have part in the meadow, leave to open the gates of the pool (extrahendi clusas) for two days every year and keep them out of the water, and have his lambs wander and wash in the grantor's water of Tatterford; also the homage and service of Thomas de Bello fago and Andrew his brother for the tenement they held of him in Tatterford, rendering a rose at the feast of the nativity of St John Baptist. Robert also quitclaims his right in lands that Roger Unspak formerly held of his mother and father in Tatterford. Witnesses include Hugh de Pinkeny knight. [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(24) Grant by William son of Roger the baker of Sengham to Robert de Fulmodestun and his heirs by Juliana his wife and Margaret de Winedham and her heirs of a messuage with all that was built or planted in Sengham by Tattersett near the common pasture, for which they gave 40s. and were to render two hens at Christmas, to have pasture and to perform two autumn works in return for a free meal [?F.22], [mid 13th century] (1 parchment)
(25) Grant by Robert de Cachenese, clerk, to Henry son of Godfrey de Helingtone of a piece of land in the fields of Tatterford. Not to sell to religious houses [F3.10]. [mid-late 13th century] (1 parchment)
(26) Grant by Henry de Helehton to Nicholas de Kyrketon of a piece of land in Tattersett lying in the messuage that was John Pycoth's by reason of the dower of his wife lately deceased, [mid-late 13th century] (1 parchment)
(27) Undertaking by John Tylney of Tattersett to pay 6d yearly rent for a messuage in Briggerowe in Tattersett granted to him by Alan Madour, John Beckham and others, 11 Jan 1475 (1 parchment)
(28) Grant by John Dynne of Heydon to John Beckham of Tattersett of 1a. in two pieces in the field of Tattersett, one of them at Hewkeshill, in exchange for one acre in Overfulwong, 4 Apr 1496 (1 parchment)
(29) Acknowledgment by John Beckham, husbandman of Tattersett, of receipt from Isabel widow and executrix of William Somer of 33s. 4d. in part payment of bond debt of her husband, ?Jacob Wright of Barsham and Thomas Blaunche of Kettlestone, 25 June 1505 (1 parchment)

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Formerly BL Ia/6.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

64c83696-97ab-40ef-aa03-ebf00b3c0d1f

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 15/02/2010 by Droip. Modified 03/12/2018 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area