Sub-series NCR 24a/1-9 - Early account rolls of the Hospital of St Giles

Identity area

Reference code

NCR 24a/1-9

Title

Early account rolls of the Hospital of St Giles

Date(s)

  • 1294-1397 (Creation)

Level of description

Sub-series

Extent and medium

9 parchment rolls

Context area

Name of creator

(c 1249-)

Administrative history

Established in c 1249 by the then Bishop of Norwich, Walter Suffield and originally known as the Hospital of the Blessed Mary and St Giles, and afterwards, simply as St Giles's Hospital, Norwich, in the parish of St Helen in Holmstrete, now Bishopgate in Norwich.
Formerly known as St Giles' Hospital, the Great Hospital in Norwich is still a functioning charitable, residential institution and its archives extend from the thirteenth century to the twentieth century. Prior to the Municipal Reform Act of 1835, the Mayor and Corporation acted as trustees for a large number of City charities. The most ancient was the Great Hospital (founded by Walter Suffield, Bishop of Norwich, in 1249), whose records are the largest and most complete of any of the City charities.
While most English hospitals were dissolved at the Reformation in the sixteenth century, the Great Hospital was one of very few which survived. On Henry VIII's death in 1547, it was surrendered to the new Protestant monarch, Edward VI. The Norwich city fathers, however, were sufficiently astute to recognize the important rôle which the Hospital might play in caring for the city's poor (who then posed a serious social problem). Edward VI succumbed to local pressure and returned the ownership of the Hospital and its possessions, land and property to the corporation, which then used it to prioritise and channel charitable work in the community. Thus, through its acquisition by the corporation, the Hospital continued to function and its records became part of the city archives.
By the terms of Edward VI's charter by letters patent in 1547, forty poor people were to be accommodated in the Hospital (then called 'God's House'), looked after by the keeper of the House and a team of four matrons or women keepers, but by the end of the century, the number had risen to 54. In 1633, owing to increased revenues, the numbers of inhabitants had increased to 86 though there were still only four women keepers. Seven years later, there were 95 inhabitants, looked after by five matrons. Of these inhabitants, the original 40 provided for by charter had been augmented by two paid for by legacies in Francis Rugg's will, two more by the will of Alderman Henry Fawcett and the remainder allowed by the mayor and aldermen because of the increase in revenues. Presumably finances were tight when in 1647, numbers were down to 71 and the team of matrons only four women, but by the early Commonwealth period, there were again 95 poor and five matrons. By 1685, a hundred poor folk were accommodated in the Hospital.
The Charity Commissioners finished their enquiry into the Norwich charities in 1833 and a copy of their printed report is to be found at N/TC 63/2. By a Chancery Order dated 18 March 1837, twenty-six Charity Trustees were appointed, with responsibility to manage the charities formerly in trust with the Corporation. The charities were divided into two lists: the Church List Charities (including the Great Hospital, the Free Grammar School, Archbishop Parker's Scholarships, the Preachers' Fund and various other smaller charities) and the General List Charities (including Doughty's Hospital, the Boys' Hospital, the Girls' Hospital, the Barnham Broom Estate and many other smaller charities).
A considerable number of charity records (many of them pre-1835) were deposited in the Record Office many years after the publication of Hudson and Tingey's Revised Catalogue of the Records of the City of Norwich in 1898. They interrelate with the records in the NCR collection and are listed at N/CCH and N/MC.
The medieval records of the Great Hospital were inscribed in the UNESCO UK Memory of the World Register in May 2011. The UK Memory of the World Register (established in 2010) helps to raise awareness of some of the UK’s exceptional, but lesser-known documentary riches by awarding them globally-recognised Memory of the World status.

Name of creator

(fl 1428-1429)

Biographical history

Ploughman and carter of the Lathes Estate in Norwich for St Giles' Hospital. The Lathes Estate, in and around St Augustine's parish, Norwich. Managed the Lathes estate for the Hospital and was employed to cart produce and materials to the Hospital from the Lathes and from their other estates in east Norfolk. Produced accounts and a journal of his carting activities, surviving partly in English.

Name of creator

(fl late 14th century)

Biographical history

Overseer of the Manor of Seething for the Hospital of St Giles, Norwich in 1369-1373

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

These include the earliest surviving accounts of the Hospital's income and operational expenses, both on their estates, including the costs associated with their patronage and rectorship of several parish churches and their priests, and on the administration of the Hospital site itself. Although referring to tithe income from several Norfolk churches, they rarely list rents and farm-payments from other properties in detail (though the maintenance costs for such buildings are accounted for), but include such items as the receipt of pensions and payments to support the common table at the hospital, the payment of servants' stipends, of allowances or stipends for the brothers and the purchase of food and fuel for store.

The accounts are not necessarily identified with any particular office, but include elements which later came to be diagnostic of the accounts of the several distinctive offices of the steward, receiver and supervisor/surveyor. The few surviving rolls from the 1380s-1390s were identified, for instance, as the accounts of Roger de Eton as surveyor at Costessey (in 1385) or of Sir Benedict, surveyor in the 1390s, and later (when Master) receiver of the revenues of the hospital, incidentally referencing the original separate origin of those two offices (later to be found in joint accounts). Two of these rolls, however, bear later endorsements, dating from the late sixteenth or early seventeenth centuries, labelling them as 'Domestic Accounts', although the office of steward (with which the later 'domestic' accounts were associated) is not mentioned as such in any of these rolls prior to the mid-fifteenth century (though see NCR 24a/142 for the draft accounts of steward, Geoffrey Hall, 1429-1433 and also NCR 24e/5/11 for the reference to, 'Sir Geffre [Halle], styward of seyntt gylis ospital', in the preface to John Boys' journal accounts of 1428-9).

Account rolls for years, 1294, 1316-17, 1319-1323, 1327-1329, 1329, 1330, 1331-1332, 1332, 1333-1336, 1338-9, 1341-1343, 1347-8, ?1353-1354, ? 1360s, 1375-6, 1385-6, 1390-1, 1393-4, Mar 1396-Jan 1397, and Jan-Sep 1397

See NCR 24c for bailiffs' accounts from individual manors.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Formerly NCR Case 24a

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Most of the accounts are available on microfilm MF/RO 162/1.

Related units of description

See also the hospital's memoranda of rents and holdings, nd [? 1290-93], in PHI 519, 578X2.
For rentals and estate accounts, 1729-1905, 1925-1935, see N/MC 16/1-8.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

CALM RefNo

NCR/24/1/1

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

fd48d0a6-252b-49d7-96f5-9005d541a135

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 25/04/2016 by Drott. Modified 12/12/2018 by Drott.

Sources

Accession area