Documents of title relating to the lordships of the manors of Islington and Thursford, the rectory and tithes of St Michael in Fincham and property in Tilney St Lawrence, Islington, Thursford, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalene and St Peters, Feltwell, Clenchwarton, Berney, Southery, Upwell and Littleport (Cambridge), culminating in sale by William Guybon to Joseph Dixon in 1727 [final deed stuck together]
- 1722-1727 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Lord Coleraine died in 1749 leaving his estates to his illegitimate daughter, Henrietta du Plessis who was born in Italy in 1745. A lengthy lawsuit ensued and Thomas Francis was appointed receiver. Gout frequently prevented him from coming to Norfolk and Dixon continued to act as steward.
Name of creator
Robert de Scales died in possession,1324-5; heir his son Robert [IPM 6/593]. Thomas de Ingaldesthorp was found to have died seised of a moiety of the manor at an inquisition taken in 1328; John was his son and heir [IPM 7/109]. Sir Roger de Scales died in possession, 1387-8; heir his son Robert [IPM 16/531]. Robert Scales died in possession, 1403; heir his son Robert [IPM 18/724]. Joan, widow of Sir Roger Scales, died in possession 1415; heir her son Robert [IPM 20/162]. \r\nThe manor belonged to the Guybon family in the 17th century, then to the Dixon family from 1725. It passed to the descendants of Thomas Dixon's sister, Jane Bagge. William Bagge and Thomas Bagge are named as lords of the manor of Islington in the Inclosure Award of 1798 [C/Sce 1/8A]\r\nThomas and William Bagge are named as lords of the manor of Islington in the Clenchwarton Inclosure Act of 1825: the manor extended into Clenchwarton [C/Sca 2/69].\r\nEdward Bagge, Esq., of Islington Hall, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nRichard Bagge, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.
Name of creator
Sir Charles Chad, Bt, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nJoseph Stonehewer Scott Chad, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nThe Duchy of Lancaster held the jurisdiction for the leet court in the township of Thursford [NRO, MS 19752-3]. \r\nThere is no manor called simply Thursford in the Inclosure Act of 1827 [C/Sca 2/ 298]: the trade directory references are probably shorthand for the two manors of Thursford Heydons and Thursford Sheltons, which were both owned by the Chad family.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Including account of Robert Underwood for sums of money lent to William Guybon esq., 1727 [formerly LL.80].
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Formerly BL X (44).
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
- Norfolk » Islington, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Thursford, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Fincham, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Tilney St Lawrence, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalene, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Wiggenhall St Peter, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Feltwell, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Clenchwarton, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Southery, Norfolk
- Norfolk » Upwell, Norfolk
- UK » England » Cambridgeshire » Littleport, Cambridgeshire
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 13/07/2009 by Droip. Modified 05/08/2019 by Catherine.Collins.