Dereham Antiquarian Society records
- 1648-2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
approx 75 boxes
Name of creator
The Society was founded in 1953. It incorporates the Cowper Society of Dereham. The Arcadian Club, which studies the life and works of the local antiquarian Dr Augustus Jessopp, is another specialist group within the Society. Bishop Bonner's Cottage Museum in Dereham was founded by, and continues to be run by, volunteer members of the Society.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 14 March 2012(ACC 2011/327), on 30 May 2012 (ACC 2012/46) and on 17 July 2012 (ACC 2012/84). Added to catalogue, 23 August 2012 (SM/AB).
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Comprises adminstrative records of the Society and Bishop Bonner's Cottage Museum and archives relating to East Dereham collected by the Society. Most of the records are not yet catalogued in detail, but can be requested by their accession and box numbers.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Further deposits expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Items can only be borrowed or withdrawn from this collection with the written authorisation of the DAS Chairman.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
- Dereham Antiquarian Society; 1953- (Creator)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 14/03/2012 by Drosm. Modified 27/02/2019 by Catherine.Collins.