File KIM 1/15/1 - Court book

Identity area

Reference code

KIM 1/15/1

Title

Court book

Date(s)

  • 1612 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

In the mid-sixteenth century, the owners of the manors of Erpingham, Colby, Banningham, Felbrigg, Aylmerton, (Sir Edmond Wyndham held all but the first of these manors), payed rents to Hanworth manor, as did Hales Hall in Metton, described as a tenement, not as a manor. Aylmerton descended through the Windham family; William Windham was lord in 1675, Ash Windham in 1742, William Wymondham died in possession in 1761. Admiral William Windham is named as lord of the manor of Aylmerton in the Inclosure Award of 1823 [NRO, C/Sca 2/112].\r\nRobert William Ketton, Esq., given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883) and was lord in the early twentieth century.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1901; lord of the manor (with Gresham): Robert William Ketton; Steward: Rackham and Sayer [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

In the mid-sixteenth century, the owners of the manors of Erpingham, Colby, Banningham, Felbrigg, Aylmerton, (Sir Edmond Wyndham holds all but the first of these manors), pay rents to Hanworth manor, as does Hales Hall in Metton, here described as a tenement, not as a manor.\r\nFrederica Windham, widow, is named as lady of the manor in the Inclosure Act for Erpingham, Colby, Banningham and Ingworth of 1818 [NRO, MC 88/7/2].\r\nW.H. Windham, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nW.F. Windham, Esq., given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Court books [NRO, MC 1890/1-3] state that Ash Windham, Esq., was lord in 1717 until 1748; William Windham, Esq., held his first court in 1749. The manor passed to Samuel Barber, Esq., circa 1775 and he was followed by Benjamin Barber in 1800, who is named as lord in the Inclosure act of 1809 [NRO, C/Sca 2/295]. The manor then passed to Jonathan Farrow, Esq., circa 1843.\r\nThe manor was put up for sale in 1841, as one lot together with Toft Overhall and Netherhall and contained 286 acres of land [NRO, acc Cozens-Hardy 21/3/75].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor was owned successively by the Felbrigg, Windham and, from 1862, Ketton families. In the mid-sixteenth century, the owners of the manors of Erpingham, Colby, Banningham, Felbrigg, Aylmerton, (Sir Edmond Wyndham holds all but the first of these manors), pay rents to Hanworth manor. \r\nWilliam Windham is named as lord of the manor in the Inclosure Award of 1823 [NRO, C/Sca 2/112].\r\nWilliam Howe Windham, Esq. of Felbrigg Hall, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845). \r\nLast transaction dated: 1887; lord of the manor: Robert William Ketton; Steward: J.B. Coaks [TNA, HMC 5/6]. \r\nFor further history of the manor to the early eighteenth century, see F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-10).\r\n

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Honour of Clare. Owned succesively by the Ingworth and Baldwin families in the 13th cent, passing by marriage to Nicholas Repps. In 1314 Henry de Colby held it of the Honour of Clare. The Colby family sold it to George Felbrigge in about 1390 and the manor descended through this family and its successor the Wyndhams. Frederica Windham, widow, is named as lady of the manor in the Inclosure Act for Erpingham, Colby, Banningham and Ingworth of 1818 [NRO, MC 88/7/2],\r\nIt was sold to Captain Reginald Cossley Batt in the early 20th cent [source Bryant's Norfolk Churches]. The title of lord was sold by Batt's grandson in c1990.

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

John Damme was lord in 1462, his son Simon succeeded and died lord in 1498, Thomas Damme was lord in 1547. In the early 17th cent, the manor passed to the Blofield family, and in 1740 from them to the Windhams, through which family it descended [source: Bryant's Norfolk Churches].\r\nAdmiral William Windham is named as lord in the Inclosure Award of 1823 [NRO, C/Sca 2/112].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The property of Norwich cathedral priory; the manor was farmed by John Milicent at the point of the peasant uprisings in 1381. The manor passed to Norwich Dean and Chapter at the Dissolution of the monastic house and foundation of the Cathedral chapter, 1538; retained by the Crown at the refoundation, 1547; \r\nJohn, Lord Wodehouse is named as lord in the Wicklewood Inclosure Award of 1808 [NRO, C/Sca 2/33].\r\nLord Wodehouse is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe Earl of Kimberley, given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1895; lord of the manor: Earl of Kimberley; Steward: George Forrester [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nAccording to the Inland Revenue list of 1925, the Earl of Kimberley was lord and Daynes, Son and Keefe the stewards.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Covers Felbrigg, Aylmerton, Sustead, Metton, Banyards in Thurlton, Wicklewood, Ingworth, Banningham, Tuttington.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Description control area

Description identifier

2c1bed8f-bda5-4aeb-b1a1-65002393f656

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 06/08/2001 by Droip. Modified 25/01/2013 by Droip.

Sources

Accession area