- 1774 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
2/5/1-4, 10-13, 15 Mar-Aug 1774 letters between Betsy Reading, at Charlbury House, and her parents at Woodstock, including from Revd James Reading suggesting she views Saturn's ring through Mr Holloway's telescope .
Letters between Betsy Reading and Edward Leathes, at Herringfleet and Strumpshaw, many about their scheme to marry clandestinely [6, 7, 8, 9, 14.
Printed card for Abingdon races 13-15 September with, verso, 'Immediately upon her return from these Races, Miss Reading went to London & was married to the Revd Edward Leathes' 
2/5/14 5 Sep letter to Revd James Reading from Edward and Elizabeth Leathes, Queen's Head, Holborn, announcing their marriage.
2/5/15 6 Sep Revd Philip Reading, Apoquiniminck [Appoquinimink, Delaware, US], to brother Revd James Reading, Woodstock: American affairs and grievances - impossible for any individual not to be involved - he is detested and abhorred as the supposed author of a pamphlet and may prefer a curacy in a remote part of England where could eat his bread in peace.
2/5/17-18, 20 Sep-Dec letters between Edward and Elizabeth 'Betsy' Leathes at Strumpshaw and Reedham, and her parents at Woodstock: Leathes has married her without a penny of fortune ; mother wishes they had waited until Leathes was in orders and presented to his living ; furnishings bought and needed ; the bishop has delayed the ordination ; Betsy's aunt Mrs Nelson is not so kind to them as they could wish and does not choose that they should stay at Strumpshaw beyond Christmas ; their removal to Reedham and complaints of the Nelsons' treatment of them .
2/5/19, 35-6 1774-1775 Margaret and Edward Loveden, Buscott, to Elizabeth Leathes: congratulations on marriage; death of Margaret's grandmother; Betsy's pregnancy.
2/5/37 Unsigned and undated letter possibly from John Leathes to his brother George.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
- World » North America » United States
- Norfolk » Strumpshaw, Norfolk
- Suffolk » Herringfleet, Suffolk
- United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Woodstock, Oxfordshire
- Norfolk » Reedham, Norfolk
- United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Abingdon, Oxfordshire
- World » North America » United States » Delaware, United States » Appoquinimink River, Delaware
Name access points
- Philip Reading; 1720-1778; clergyman and missionary; Pennsylvania, United States (Subject)
- Revd James Reading; 1721-1790; clergyman; Woodstock, Oxon and Reedham, Norfolk (Subject)
- Elizabeth 'Betsy' Reading; 1748-1815; Norwich, Norfolk, and Sundridge, Kent (Subject)
- Revd Edward Leathes; 1747-1788; clergyman; Reedham, Norfolk and Freethorpe, Norfolk (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 19/07/2004 by Droip. Modified 22/02/2019 by Droip.