Collards, Uphall and Games Manor; 1189-1925; Ashill, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Collards, Uphall and Games Manor; 1189-1925; Ashill, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1189-1925

History

Uphall manor was the capital manor in Ashill, but became associated with the smaller manors in Ashill, Collards, Games and Monacks, alias Monocks, when they all were granted by the Crown to Sir Henry Bedingfield circa 1555. The united manors were sold by the Bedingfields to John Eyre of Holme Hale, and, circa 1720, they passed to Sir Francis Andrew. Later lords included Philip Southcote (1747), Bridget Southcote (1759), Robert, Lord Petre (1783), who was lord at the time of the Inclosure Award of 1786 [NRO, C/Sce 1/3], William, Lord Petre (1810), Hon. Francis Baring, later Lord Ashburton (1822), Hon. Francis Baring (1847). Lord Ashburton is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nIn 1869 the manor was bought by William Amhurst, later Lord Amherst, of Didlington Hall; W.A.T. Amherst Esq., MP, is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883).\r\nAccording to the MAF's list of known manors, compiled in 1925, the last transaction was dated 1922, Baron Amherst was lord of the manor and Allen E. Messer was steward [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Places

Ashill, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/3516

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

For Uphall, see F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810) at British History Online.
For Collards, Uphall and Games, see F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810) at British History Online.
T.H. Bryant, 'The Churches of Norfolk' (Norwich, 1900-1915)
Known manors: Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries list, 1925, TNA, HMC 5/6
W. White, 'History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, and the City and County of the City of Norwich' (1845)
W. White, 'History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, and the City and County of the City of Norwich' (1883)

Maintenance notes

Proven MDR

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places