Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Burnham Sutton Parish Council; 1894-1929; Burnham Sutton, Norfolk
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Parish councils were formed under the Local Government Act 1894. They took over the civic and social welfare duties of existing groups hitherto based around ecclesiastical parishes (notably the overseers of the poor). Records of parish charities managing commons under distribution of land as a consequence of the Enclosure Acts can often be found in parish council records.
They are elected bodies, usually on a four year cycle. The number of councilors varies according to the population of the parish.
Parish Councils tend to be responsible for the provision of such facilities as village halls, recreation grounds and children's play areas. They have a legal right to be consulted and to comment on all planning applications in their areas.
The parishes of Burnham Ulph and Sutton and Burnham Westgate were united to form the parish of Burnham Market on 1 April 1929.
Burnham Sutton, Norfolk
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Local Government Act 1894 (56 & 57 Vict. c. 73).
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created on: 06/01/2003 by Droip