Bromehill Manor; 1189-1925; Weeting, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Bromehill Manor; 1189-1925; Weeting, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The Priory of Bromhill was founded in the early thirteenth century by Sir Hugh de Playz, who held the manor of Methwold of the Earl Warren. Land in Methwold was aliened to the priory, and subsequently land in Croxton, Feltwell and Weeting. On dissolution the manor and priory were granted to Cardinal Wolsey in 1528 and, after his fall, to Christ's College Cambridge in 1531.\r\nIt is not clear at what point, or indeed whether, the four Bromehill manors (that in Feltwell called East Hall) were split from one main manor, but by the nineteenth century a separate manor court was regularly held in Croxton, Feltwell and Methwold (see court books MC 2909).


Weeting, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip



Maintenance notes

Proven MDR
  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC