Bolwick Hall Manor; 1189-1925; Aylsham, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Bolwick Hall Manor; 1189-1925; Aylsham, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1189-1925

History

The manor was granted to Hugh de Boves by King John, as part of the crown manor of Aylsham Lancaster. The manor passed to the Bolewic family in the first half of the thirteenth century, before passing to the Whitwell family in the mid-thirteenth century. By the late fourteenth century it was held by Sir Robert Salle. The manor then was sold a number of times, being held by Agnes Milton, the Aleyn family and 'various families' before coming to the Wood family in the late sixteenth century [Blomefield, Vol 6, pp. 268-285]. John Warnes, Esq., is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845); Mrs Calvert is lady of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883).

Places

Aylsham, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

The manor was fine certain, both for houses and lands, and it gave a moiety dower; the lands descended in gavel kind [Blomefield, Vol 6, pp. 268-285].

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/3329

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810)\r\nW. White, 'History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, and the City and Cou

Maintenance notes

Proven MDR
  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC