- 1919-late 20th century (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Buckingham and Berry, Prince of Wales Road Norwich, established 1920, later had premises in Thorpe Road. Founded by Claude Somerset Buckingham (d. 1943) and Arthur Gilbert Berry FRIBA (d. 1960). In 1944, Edward Ray Crane ARIBA entered into partnership with Arthur Berry. Crane had been with the company since at least May 1939, but served on minesweepers 1939-1944 as a lieutenant-commander in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (for which he was awarded the DSC). In 1950, John Ballie Noble ARIBA entered into partnership with Berry and Crane. The new partnership continued to trade under the Buckingham and Berry name until 1956 when it changed to Berry, Crane & Noble. Thomas Anthony Cross was apprenticed to Arthur Berry in March 1945. Cross became an associate partner in 1961 and achieved full partnership in 1967.
Buckingham & Berry and Berry, Crane and Noble carried out a wide variety of commissions throughout Norfolk but particularly in Norwich and South Norfolk. Arthur Berry was influenced by his contemporaries working in the Arts and Crafts style. This is evident in many of the public houses he designed for the Bullards Brewery estate during 1920s and 30s. Good examples include The Constitution, Sprowston, The Mitre, Earlham Rd and the White Hart at Costessey. R.G. Carter were the builders associated with many of these assignments. Buckingham and Berry also worked for the burgeoning shoe industry in Norwich. Commissions included factories for Meadows, Bally and Arthur Howlett. They also designed a large factory for Bally at Lowestoft in Suffolk. Other clients based in Norwich included Ben Burgess (showroom at King St) and builders and ironmongers Lacy & Lincoln. Elsewhere they designed the original building for Roys of Wroxham and had a long working relationship with Bowes of Watton. Bowes commissioned both industrial and residential buildings for their meat processing company and family estate at Bodney Hall and nearby Hilborough. The company also designed a number of civic building including Agricultural House (23 Ber Street) for the Farmers Union (1952), The Norwich Lads Club (King St) St Alban's Church Hall (Grove Walk), Bracon Ash and Barnham Broom village halls, Abbey Hall Wymondham, Brewster Court, Blofield (Berry's final project) and old people's flats at Old Palace Road, Norwich. In 1969 Berry Crane & Noble were recognised for an innovative three-pronged footbridge at the Riverside Shopping Precinct in Thetford winning a Structural Design Steel Award.
The company designed numerous residential developments and individual homes. The unusual roof profile at Riverview, Bramerton was arguable one of the company's most iconic designs. John Ballie Noble designed his own residence, Dell Cottage, Intwood Rd Cringleford as did Thomas Cross at Arrochar, Melton Road, Wymondham.