Aylmerton Manor; 1189-1925; Aylmerton, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Aylmerton Manor; 1189-1925; Aylmerton, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1189-1925

History

In the mid-sixteenth century, the owners of the manors of Erpingham, Colby, Banningham, Felbrigg, Aylmerton, (Sir Edmond Wyndham held all but the first of these manors), payed rents to Hanworth manor, as did Hales Hall in Metton, described as a tenement, not as a manor. Aylmerton descended through the Windham family; William Windham was lord in 1675, Ash Windham in 1742, William Wymondham died in possession in 1761. Admiral William Windham is named as lord of the manor of Aylmerton in the Inclosure Award of 1823 [NRO, C/Sca 2/112].\r\nRobert William Ketton, Esq., given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1883) and was lord in the early twentieth century.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1901; lord of the manor (with Gresham): Robert William Ketton; Steward: Rackham and Sayer [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Places

Aylmerton, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Extended into Runton.

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/3219

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 22/01/2003 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

F. Blomefield, 'An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk' (11 vols, London, 1805-1810)\r\nT.H. Bryant, 'The Churches of Norfolk' (Norwich, 1900-1915)\r\nKnown manors:

Maintenance notes

Proven MDR
  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC