Item BL/F 7/112 - Appointment of Thomas Dixon as steward of manors of Walpole late Eldred's and West Walton, signed and sealed by Henry, Lord Colerane.

Identity area

Reference code

BL/F 7/112

Title

Appointment of Thomas Dixon as steward of manors of Walpole late Eldred's and West Walton, signed and sealed by Henry, Lord Colerane.

Date(s)

  • 1 Jun 1745 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by Ely Priory and when the Bishopric of Ely was established in 1109, it was assigned to the Bishop. At an inquisition held in 1361, John Colville, knight, was found to be in possession of 'Walsokene and Walpool manors'. He had demised these to Edmund Noon, Ralph de Bigeneye, Peter de Horsseye, Nicholas de Massyngham and Thomas de Welle. He held Walpole manor (s?) of the Bishop of Ely. John was his son and heir [IPM 10/655]. It came to the Crown by Act of Parliament in 1581. It was granted to John Verdon and John Eldred in 1611. Robert Eldred appears as lord in the only surviving court roll, 1623-9 [NRO, MC 2174/1]. A minute and memoranda book for 1660-76 refers to the manor once as 'late the King'. [NRO, MC 2293/1]. Revd Chauncy Hare Townsend is named as the manor of 'Walpole formerly Eldreds' in the Inclosure Act of 1832 [C/Sca 2/310], and was lord at the time of the Inclosure Award of 1837 [NRO, C/Sca 2/309]. According to Bryant, the manor embraced the former manors of Ely, Walpole, Lovells, Rochford and Denvers. NRO, HARE 3976 implies that the 16th century 'manors' of Hunstons and Martens had previously merged into this block of manors.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1903; lord of the manor: Edward Hugh Jackson; Steward: E.M. Jackson [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

The manor of West Walton with the mambers was owned by the Bishop of Ely and pased to the Crown at the time of Queen Elzabeth. It was a very large manor, and its elements are sometimes treated almost as separate manors: West Walton on the part of West Walton; West Walton on the part of Walsoken; West Walton on the part of Emneth; West Walton on the part of Tilney.\r\nAt the time of the Marshland Inclosure Award of 1803, the manor was leased from the Crown by Sir Martin Brown Folkes [NRO, C/Sca 2/192].\r\nThe Crown is named as lord of the manor of West Walton with the members in the Inclosure Act of 1819 , with Sir Martin Brown Folkes as the lessee [NRO, C/Sca 2/315].\r\nThe manor was held by the Crown in the mid-nineteenth century (White's Trade Directory, 1845); J. Wing, Esq. of Wisbech, was the steward.\r\nMessrs Francis and Edward Hugh Jackson are given as lords of the manor in White's Trade Directory, 1883. \r\nLast transaction dated: 1904; lord of the manor: Edward Hugh Jackson (1903); Steward: Edward E. Jackson [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Pasted in.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

216e4638-a18c-4c61-b32a-0c1727c1be0b

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 08/08/2008 by Droip. Modified 06/08/2019 by Catherine.Collins.

Sources

Accession area