Temporary ACC 2019/208 - Annotated sales particulars, parish magazine and pamphlet on 1912 Norwich floods

Identity area

Reference code

ACC 2019/208

Title

Annotated sales particulars, parish magazine and pamphlet on 1912 Norwich floods

Date(s)

  • 1912-1967 (Creation)

Level of description

Temporary

Extent and medium

3 gatherings

Context area

Name of creator

(1794 -1996)

Administrative history

The land agency, Messrs Francis Hornor and Son of Norwich, was established in 1794 by Norwich surveyor, Robert Pratt. The firm undertook much enclosure commission work in its early years throughout Norfolk, in which Pratt appears to have collaberated with another local surveyor, Robert Chasteney, variously described as being of Trowse, Bracondale or of Norwich. Pratt also acted as surveyor to the sea breach commissioners, particularly concerning himself with the coastal defences of East and North Norfolk. Later partners were much involved with tithe commission and railway development work, and acted as land agents for many private and official estate owners in Norwich, Norfolk and elsewhere in East Anglia.
Pratt's nephew, Charles J. Hornor, aged 22, joined the firm in the 1850s, and the firm was known as Messrs Pratt, Son and Hornor from about 1853, , later becoming Charles Hornor and Son, then Francis Hornor and Son. By the 1860s, the business had moved to its long-standing address in Queen Street, Norwich and the Pratts retired from the partnership, leaving Charles Hornor to continue alone. By 1882, he had been joined by his sons, Charles Jared (b. 1855, d. 1922) and Francis Hornor (b. 1859, d. 1932), and later still, the firm was joined by his grandson, Bassett Hornor (b. 1889, d. 1964) and great-grandson Samuel.
Charles [snr] and Francis's partnership was dissolved c 1893, possibly due to Charle's failing health.
Bassett Hornor became a partner in the firm in 1910.
Charles Jared and his father had a serious falling out during the 1890s and the younger man left the firm to set up his own land agency, often operating in competition with his father and brother.
From the late nineteenth century onwards, partners of the firm also served as stewards and clerks of Norwich-based charities and trusts such as the Norwich Town Close Charity, the Norwich Great Hospital, Alderman Norman's Foundation, the Bethel Hospital and others. In addition, both Pratt and Charles Hornor appear to have been active agents for the Norwich Union Fire Office, selling insurance policies to property owners throughout the county.
The firm merged with Brown & Co. in 1996.

Name of creator

(?-)

Administrative history

In the Archdeaconry of Norwich.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Flintshire Record Office

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Blofield Deanery Magazine June 1965, Illustrated Record of the Great Flood 1912, and sale particulars for Hill House Farm, Limpenhoe, sold by Francis Hornor and Son, 1967.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Fair; items appear to have been stored in a ring binder as have holes punched along the spines. The Flood pamphlet has loose covers and some foxing, the sales particulars are bent and are annotated in pen.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Uncatalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Sources

Accession area