American Memorial Library brochure and opening of the Memorial Room
- 1964 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. S/Sgt Paul E. Orwig (93rd Bomb Group, Hardwick) was killed in action and his remains were repatriated from the Netherlands [date not given].
Name of creator
American Memorial Room opened in Norwich Central Library, Bethel Street, 1963. Dedication ceremony for Memorial Room, 13 June 1963. American Memorial Room destroyed in Norwich Central Library fire, 1994. Temporary Memorial Library opens within temporary Norwich Central Library, Ber Street, Norwich, 28 February 1995. New 2nd Air Division Memorial Library opened within the Norwich and Norfolk Millennium Library in the Forum, Norwich, 1 November 2001. Dedication ceremony for new Memorial Library, 7 November 2001.\r\nFirst proposals for a memorial to the personnel of the 2nd Air Division in East Anglia who lost their lives during the Second World War, 1945. The Memorial Trust of the 2nd Air Division founded with aim of bringing the 2nd Air Division Memorial Library into being, 1945. Administered by the Memorial Trust of the 2nd Air Division.\r\nThe 2nd Air Division Memorial Library grew from funds raised in 1945 by 2nd Air Division personnel, which were placed under the care of the Memorial Trust of the 2nd Air Division, United States Army Air Force (USAAF). The dedication of the 2nd Air Division Memorial Room took place on 13 June 1963. The room housed the Roll of Honor, as well as a collection of books on the 2nd Air Division and various other aspects of American life and culture. In addition, a Memorial Fountain, complete with stones from all 50 states in the United States, was built outside.\r\nOn 1 August 1994, a fire broke out in the Norwich Central Library destroying most of the books, the original Roll of Honor, and display items in the Memorial Room. The 2nd Air Division archive, held by the Norfolk Record Office and located in the basement of the building, was not destroyed by the fire. Following the 1994 Norwich Central Library Fire, the 2nd Air Division Memorial Room was housed temporarily in Noverre House, Norwich, and then longer-term in Glasswells, 71 Ber Street, Norwich. On 1 November 2001, the new 2nd Air Division Memorial Library was opened in The Forum.\r\nFulbright Librarians and American Scholars:\r\nThrough funds raised by the 2nd Air Division Association, an American Fulbright scholar was appointed annually between 1986-2007 to work as part of the Memorial Library team. Since then, two scholarships have been awarded to American post-graduate students studying at the University of East Anglia.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 27 November 1985 (American Memorial Trust 27/11/1985).
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Programme of proceedings for the opening of the Memorial Room, 13 June 1963; letters of thanks on receipt of the Memorial Library brochure including one from Herbert and Lela Orwig, relating to the donation of books with a photograph of their son Paul E. Orwig.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Former catalogue reference, SO 247/2/3/7.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 10/01/2007 by Dlglg. Modified 14/01/2019 by Catherine.Collins.