Allen and Neale, Chemists, of King's Lynn
- nd [mid 19th century]-1955 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Pigot and Co's commercial directory for 1830 show William and James Baynes trading as chemists and vendors of patent medicines at 55 High Street, King's Lynn; White's 1845 and 1854 directory's show W. and F. Baynes at that address. At some stage, the firm must have traded as Bayes and Allen, but by Harrod's 1868 directory it is Allen and Willis. The Post Office directory for 1875 lists H.W. Allen and Willis, and Kelly's 1883 directory shows H.W. Allen and Co. By 1892 the firm is Allen and Neale and has acquired an outlet in Hunstanton in addition to the shop at 55 High Street. Allen and Neale held a number of royal warrants. The firm continued trading under this title until the mid-twentieth century and beyond.
Previously in the custody of the Norfolk Museums and Archaeology Service (ref KL1971.155).
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 8 October 2003 (ACC 2003/81). List completed 12 April 2006 (EK).
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created 12/04/2006 by Droek. Modified 23/08/2019 by Droip.