File BL/O/C/33 - Admission of Katharine wife of Ambrose Money (daughter and heir of Henry Rowse, son and heir of William Rowse) at the court baron of Wymondham Grisaugh of Sir John Hobart: messuages in Damgate in Wymondham and tenements in Silfield parcel of Whislers Meadows.

Identity area

Reference code

BL/O/C/33

Title

Admission of Katharine wife of Ambrose Money (daughter and heir of Henry Rowse, son and heir of William Rowse) at the court baron of Wymondham Grisaugh of Sir John Hobart: messuages in Damgate in Wymondham and tenements in Silfield parcel of Whislers Meadows.

Date(s)

  • 28 Mar 1639 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 parchment

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

That part of Wymondham retained by D'Albini when he donated part to Wymondham priory. Later owned by Tateshall, Clifton, Knevet, Hobart families. Robert de Tateshale died in posession of the manor of Wymondham 1297-8; heir his son Robert [IPM 3/476]. Isabel Countess of Arundel died in possession of manor of Wymondham, including a park called Hexawe, and of the advowson of Wymondham Priory. She died 28 Sept 1316. Thomas de Cailly died in possession of two parts of manor of Wymondham, capital messuage 'in a wood called Grishaugh', holding jointly with his wife Margaret by enfeoffment of Michael de Cailly and Walter Kyng, 1316-7: the reversion pertains to Adam son of Roger de Cliston as nephew of Thomas [IPM 6/48]. At an inquistion in 1368, Margaret, late wife of Robert Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, was found to have held two thirds of the manor of the barony of Tatishal [IPM 12/237]. Constantine de Clifton died in possession of two thirds of the manor, 1395-6; heir his son John [IPM 15/611]. Sir John de Clifton died in possession of two thirds of the manor (including the market),1388-9; heir his son Constantine [IPM 16/679]. Sir Gilbert Talbot died in possession of two parts of the manor, 1398-9; heir his son Richard Talbot [IPM 17/1289,1290].\r\nCourt roll of 1447 describes itself as first court of Sir John Clifton, son and heir of Constantius Clifton of the lands that Margaret, Constantius' widow had held in dower. Court of 1360 is first court of the feoffees of Sir John Clifton - Richard Earl of Say, Andrew Odard 'and others'. Court roll for 1476 describes itself as first court of William Knevet and Johanna his wife, that of 1570 as first court of Roger Woodhouse, executor of Thomas Knyvett. The court of 1588 is described as the first court of Thomas Knyvett. Philip Knyvett occurs as lord in 1613 and 1618, Sir Henry Hobart from 1618. Sir John Hobart was lord in 1628 and still in 1647: the manor is one of 14 Norfolk manors leased for 40 years by Sir John Hobart to Sir Nicholas le Strange, John Hobart of Weybread (Suffolk) and others in 1640 [NRO, NRS 26514]; Lady Frances Hobart held her first court in 1647 and her name occurs as lady until 1665, when she is followed by John Hobart, who also occurs as lord in 1671. \r\nOne of the 13 manors in Wymondham mentioned in the Inclosure Act/Award of 1806-1810; Revd Charles Hobart is named as lord in the Act of 1806 [NRO, C/Sca2/345; MC 2907/14]. \r\n \r\nRevd H.C. Hobart is given as lord of the manor, with Cromwells and Rusteyns manors, in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe manor covered 1,800 acres - one of the largest manors in Norfolk. Wymondham market belongs to this manor. \r\nThe earliest records using the name Grishaugh appear to date from 1349, before that it is simply called Wymondham.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1906; lord of the manor: Trustees of Col. Hobart; Steward: Aubrey A. Blake [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nLast transaction dated: 1901; lords of the manor: Henry Blake and George Hobart; Steward: Aubrey A. Blake [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1611-1793)

Biographical history

Earl of Buckinghamshire from 1746. John Hobart, the second Earl, ambassador to Russia and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, died in 1793 and the estate then passed to his daughter Caroline who married William Assheton, 2nd Lord Suffield (d 1821), and on her death in 1850 it came to her great-nephew William, 8th Marquess of Lothian, who died in 1870. The Blickling estate remained in the family until the death of Philip Henry, 11th Marquess of Lothian, in 1940 who left Blickling Hall and its contents to the National Trust.

Name of creator

(1593-1647)

Biographical history

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Endorsed 'late sold to King'.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • Latin

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

01a921d8-585a-4c6e-a586-40e58af3b143

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 22/09/2010 by Droip. Modified 13/08/2019 by Catherine.Collins.

Sources

Accession area