Showing 571 results

Authority record
Norfolk Record Office

Sir Nathaniel Bacon; ? 1546-1622; politician, magistrate, Sheriff of Norfolk; Stiffkey, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/101
  • Person
  • ? 1546-1622

Second son of Lord Keeper Sir Nicholas Bacon and first wife Jane, daughter of Thomas Ferneley. Had two brothers Nicholas and Edward and two half-brothers Anthony and Francis, sons of Sir Nicholas and second wife Anne, daughter of Sir Anthony Cooke. In 1569 married Anne, illegitimate daughter of Sir Thomas Gresham and Mistress Dutton. Children: Anne, Winifred and Elizabeth and two sons who died in infancy. Wife Anne died in 1595. Married in 1597 second wife Dorothy, daughter of Sir Arthur Hopton. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge and Gray's Inn, London. He lived at Norwich from 1569, Cockthorpe from 1573 and Stiffkey Hall, from 1578. He was JP in Norfolk from 1574, MP successively for Tavistock (Devon), 1571-1572, Norfolk, 1584, 1593 and 1604, and Lynn, 1597. Sheriff of Norfolk, 1599 and another unknown year, knighted, 1604. Puritan and close connections through his family with leading figures at Court.
For an attempt to re-create his archive, see the Norfolk Record Society volumes of 'The Papers of Nathaniel Bacon of Stiffkey'.

Wells next the Sea Field Study Centre; 1968-2010; environmental education; Wells next the Sea, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/10341
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-2010

Wells Infant School was opened in 1838 and called the Lady Leicester Infant School (after the Countess of Leicester, resident at Holkham Hall, who established it). In 1875, the school was transferred to the new School Board and expanded to include a girls' school in 1876. In 1903, it transferred to Local Authority Control. When the school closed in 1967, it was purchased by Norfolk County Council from the Holkham Estate for use as a Field Study Centre. For a copy of this conveyance, see Box 4. For a history of education in Wells, including the Study Centre, see Box 5.
According to the Centre's log book, it opened on 29 April 1968 and the first school to visit was Attleborough Secondary Modern School. The Centre was officially opened by Dr J.D. Carthy, Scientific Director of the Field Studies Council, on 22 October 1968. Other guests included Professor Steers and Dr Lincoln Ralphs, Chief Education Officer for Norfolk. For the Centre's opening prayer of dedication, see Box 17.
The centre was one of the first LEA centres in the country and was formed at the time when the significance of the habitats and species of the North Norfolk coast was being appreciated by the scientific community as being of prime importance for nature conservation alongside formal designation by the then Nature Conservancy Council.
The Centre's first acting warden was Miss Christine Speed from 2 May 1968 to 1 April 1969; from April 1969 Paul Banham (with his wife Eleanor Banham as assistant warden) took over as Centre warden and, from 3 April 1989, the warden was Christine Marshall (née West).
Wells FSC offered specialist facilities and staff to support residential and day field studies courses for students and their teachers. Priority was given to Norfolk LEA schools, but its facilities were also made available to other groups outside the LEA. Courses offered were centred on environmental education, with a scientific and humanities bias, but the Centre also offered residential experience for personal and social education as the self catering nature of the centre lent itself to this. All work was based on the first hand study and experience of the local environment supported by preparation and follow up work in the centre's well equipped laboratory and library. From 1989, the Centre was also instrumental in developing and implementing teaching of field studies the new national curriculum which for the first time made geographical and biological field work an essential part of the curriculum as well as environmental education and later environmental education and sustainability. In 2002, it won the Tidy Britain Eco Centre award becoming an Eco Centre and in 2008 was awarded the Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge for excellence in outdoor education and safety management.
The centre involved and was supported by many in the local community, especially local artists. James McCullum was a local artist in Wells. He made illustrations for the Centre which were used in its teaching aids, logos etc. There is a file of his drawings in the records, see Box 17. Eleanor Banham, assistant warden, drew botanical illustrations, for specimen identification, which were used for teaching aids and there are some samples in the records. Pat Willis, a centre neighbour and artist assisted with the art project described below supporting the Wells Primary and secondary children to devise designs for new centre gates and railings. Bill Cordaroy, a Norfolk artist blacksmith took the children's designs and used them for the gate and gardens project, which was part of the work for the Centre to achieve Eco-Centre status.
In 2001, NCC formed an Environmental Education Service headed by Mrs. Susan Falch-Lovesey, and the centres became part of this service. In September 2005 with the advent of Children's Services, NCC reorganized its Field Studies Centre staffing arrangements. Christine Marshall and her hitherto Deputy at Wells FSC, Andrew Coles, shared the post of Deputy Head of Norfolk Environmental Education Service which involved each in the management of both the Wells and Holt Field Study Centres. Christine transferred to Holt Hall for three days a week and Andrew remained largely based at Wells. The centre teaching became managed by new Lead Teachers. Miss Nell Seal was the Lead Teacher at Wells from June 2006 until its closure.
The Centre was closed by Norfolk County Council in July 2010. At the time of closure, the future use of the building is still uncertain.

Everard family; fl 1699-1856; King's Lynn, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/10546
  • Family
  • fl 1699-1856

The Everard family came from Middleton in Norfolk. They were brewers and merchants in King's Lynn in the eighteenth century, dealing mainly in wine, grain, fish and timber. By the nineteenth century they had become bankers with interests in a range of commercial undertakings. Confusingly, four successive generations of the family were called Edward. Edward Everard I (c 1699-1769) married Mary, daughter of Benjamin Holley, alderman and brewer of King's Lynn, in 1734. His son, Edward II (1739-1819) married in 1760 Mary Barsham, sister of his partner, Samuel Browne, merchant of King's Lynn. His son, Edward III (c 1761-1829) married Dorothy Elsden in 1789, and Sarah Sellen Ellington in 1817. His son Edward IV (c 1794-1764) married Anna Theodora St John in 1822: his only surviving child, Mary Georgina, married Major Thomas Hutton in 1856. The businesses were wound up before the death of Edward Everard IV, the bank being taken over by Messrs Gurney.

R. Roberts (Norwich) Limited; 1926-1981; boot and shoe manufacturer; Norwich, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/10680
  • Corporate body
  • 1926-1981

The firm was established by Robert Roberts in 1926 in a factory on Fisher's Lane, off Pottergate, Norwich. Robert was later joined by his sons Cecil and Leslie.
In 1974 Start-rite bought out all of the firm's issued share capital, although Robert Roberts continued to manage the factory for a while The factory closed in 1981 and the 100 workers were transferred to Start-rite's Cromer Road factory.
The former Roberts' factory still stands and has been converted into dwellings.

Francis Allen; 1852-1926; engineer; Cockley Cley Hall, Cockley Cley, Norfolk

  • GB/153/NM/11687
  • Person
  • 1852-1926

Born Stoke Newington. Son of Stafford Allen the Quaker, abolitionist and philanthropist. Worked in Egypt with Allen Alderson and Company and the Khedevial Mail Steamship and Graving Dock Company Limited at Alexandria and Suez. Died at Cockley Cley Hall.

Results 1 to 15 of 571