Son of Geoffrey Steward, alderman and mercer. Wife Elizabeth, daughter of William Read of Beccles, two sons (one called William) and six daughters. Second wife Alice, daughter of Henry Repps, and son Edward and two daughters (one called Faythe). Lived in the house called after him opposite the Erpingham Gate in Tombland, Norwich. Later lived in Elm Hill, Norwich in an area called Crown Court Yard. Born in the parish of St George Tombland in 1491. Sheriff in 1526, burgess in Parliament, mayor in 1534, 1546 and 1556, deputy mayor in 1549 during Kett's Rebellion. He was the leading citizen of Norwich at this time and was instrumental in obtaining a grant to the city from the Crown of the Blackfriars Convent (now in St Andrew's Hall, Norwich), preserving the best example of friar architecture. Also the donor of the mace of rock crystal. Died aged 79 years, and buried in St Peter Hungate Church, Norwich.