File BL/O/C/5-6 - Account of quit-rents of Thomas Wright for estates in the earl of Buckingham's manors of Wymondham: Grisaugh Norton, Grisaugh Baily fee, Cromwell's Norton and Suton, Wymondham of the Queen, Wymondham Hethersett, Carlton cum Gelham

Identity area

Reference code

BL/O/C/5-6

Title

Account of quit-rents of Thomas Wright for estates in the earl of Buckingham's manors of Wymondham: Grisaugh Norton, Grisaugh Baily fee, Cromwell's Norton and Suton, Wymondham of the Queen, Wymondham Hethersett, Carlton cum Gelham

Date(s)

  • 1737-1748 (Creation)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

2 papers

Context area

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

That part of Wymondham retained by D'Albini when he donated part to Wymondham priory. Later owned by Tateshall, Clifton, Knevet, Hobart families. Robert de Tateshale died in posession of the manor of Wymondham 1297-8; heir his son Robert [IPM 3/476]. Isabel Countess of Arundel died in possession of manor of Wymondham, including a park called Hexawe, and of the advowson of Wymondham Priory. She died 28 Sept 1316. Thomas de Cailly died in possession of two parts of manor of Wymondham, capital messuage 'in a wood called Grishaugh', holding jointly with his wife Margaret by enfeoffment of Michael de Cailly and Walter Kyng, 1316-7: the reversion pertains to Adam son of Roger de Cliston as nephew of Thomas [IPM 6/48]. At an inquistion in 1368, Margaret, late wife of Robert Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, was found to have held two thirds of the manor of the barony of Tatishal [IPM 12/237]. Constantine de Clifton died in possession of two thirds of the manor, 1395-6; heir his son John [IPM 15/611]. Sir John de Clifton died in possession of two thirds of the manor (including the market),1388-9; heir his son Constantine [IPM 16/679]. Sir Gilbert Talbot died in possession of two parts of the manor, 1398-9; heir his son Richard Talbot [IPM 17/1289,1290].\r\nCourt roll of 1447 describes itself as first court of Sir John Clifton, son and heir of Constantius Clifton of the lands that Margaret, Constantius' widow had held in dower. Court of 1360 is first court of the feoffees of Sir John Clifton - Richard Earl of Say, Andrew Odard 'and others'. Court roll for 1476 describes itself as first court of William Knevet and Johanna his wife, that of 1570 as first court of Roger Woodhouse, executor of Thomas Knyvett. The court of 1588 is described as the first court of Thomas Knyvett. Philip Knyvett occurs as lord in 1613 and 1618, Sir Henry Hobart from 1618. Sir John Hobart was lord in 1628 and still in 1647: the manor is one of 14 Norfolk manors leased for 40 years by Sir John Hobart to Sir Nicholas le Strange, John Hobart of Weybread (Suffolk) and others in 1640 [NRO, NRS 26514]; Lady Frances Hobart held her first court in 1647 and her name occurs as lady until 1665, when she is followed by John Hobart, who also occurs as lord in 1671. \r\nOne of the 13 manors in Wymondham mentioned in the Inclosure Act/Award of 1806-1810; Revd Charles Hobart is named as lord in the Act of 1806 [NRO, C/Sca2/345; MC 2907/14]. \r\n \r\nRevd H.C. Hobart is given as lord of the manor, with Cromwells and Rusteyns manors, in White's Trade Directory (1845).\r\nThe manor covered 1,800 acres - one of the largest manors in Norfolk. Wymondham market belongs to this manor. \r\nThe earliest records using the name Grishaugh appear to date from 1349, before that it is simply called Wymondham.\r\nLast transaction dated: 1906; lord of the manor: Trustees of Col. Hobart; Steward: Aubrey A. Blake [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nLast transaction dated: 1901; lords of the manor: Henry Blake and George Hobart; Steward: Aubrey A. Blake [TNA, HMC 5/6].

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Owned by John de Hethersett 1401, came to Palgrave family 1545, Sir Augustine Palgrave being recorded as lord in 1632, Sir John Palgrave in 1652 and 1658 [Blomefield says sold by Palgraves in 1648, but date is clearly incorrect], subsequently passing through several owners. Thomas Newman is recorded as lord in 1673-5. Later lords include John Ayde (first court 1678), Robert Pitcher (first court 1680), John Ives (first court 1724), Henry Smith (occurs as lord 1732, 1787), Elizabeth Smith , widow (first court 1788). \r\nOne of the 13 manors in Wymondham mentioned in the Inclosure Act/Award of 1806-1810; Revd Robert Parr is named as lord in the Act of 1806 [NRO, C/Sca2/345; MC 2907/14]. \r\nRevd William Lynes is given as lord of the manor in White's Trade Directory (1845).

Name of creator

(1189-1925)

Administrative history

Given by William D'Albini to the priory (later abbey) of Wymondham, passed to Crown at Dissolution. Remained in the hands of the Crown until 1863, when it was sold by auction. Before the Dissolution it includes Downham in Wymondham (also called Downham Shifts), later separated from the main manor.\r\nIn 1674, King Charles II leased the manor to Sir Charles Harbord and his descendants for 99 years. A legal judgement of 1757 ruled that his granddaughter Elizabeth ,Lady Byron was entitle to a two-third part of the moiety of the manor, the other third part brlonging to her mother Francis Shaw; the other rmoiety belonged to Paston Gould by virtue of the will of Anne Paston, also a granddaughter of Sir Charles. [NRO, MS 10916].\r\nOne of the 13 manors in Wymondham mentioned in the Inclosure Act/Award of 1806-1810; William Jackson is named as lord in the Act of 1806 [NRO, C/Sca2/345; MC 2907/14]. The Crown is named as lord in the Act of 1806, with Sir Charles Morgan as the lessee [NRO, C/Sca2/345; MC 2907/14]. \r\n \r\nLast transaction dated: 1913; lords of the manor: William Latimer Sayer, Edgar Robert Waters and one other; Steward: Geoffrey L. Sayer [TNA, HMC 5/6].\r\nAccording to the 1757 judgement, the manor had 35 acres of demesne and 1800 acres of land held by copyholders [NRO, MS 10916].

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

45d6834b-3167-4f38-9724-4fbd2c6e5f7f

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created 22/09/2010 by Droip. Modified 13/08/2019 by Catherine.Collins.

Sources

Accession area