Henstead Poor Law Union; 1834-1930

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Henstead Poor Law Union; 1834-1930

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1834-1930

History

The Union consisted of the following parishes: Arminghall, Bixley, Bracon Ash, Bramerton, Caistor St Edmund, East Carleton, Colney, Cringleford, Dunston, Flordon, Framingham Earl, Framingham Pigot, Hethel, Hethersett, Holverston, Intwood, Keswick, Ketteringham, Kirby Bedon, Mattishall Heath (Markshall), Melton Magna, Melton Parva, Mulbarton, Newton Flotman, Poringland, Rockland St Mary, Saxlingham Nethergate, Saxlingham Thorpe, Shotesham All Saints, Shotesham St Mary and St Martin, Stoke Holy Cross, Surlingham, Swainsthorpe, Swardeston, Trowse Newton, Whitlingham, Wreningham.
Henstead Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The union workhouse was built at Swainsthorpe in 1835. Henstead Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 5 in 1930. In 1948 Swainsthorpe Institution was taken over by the central government and administered as the The Vale Hospital Swainsthorpe.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB/153/NM/5866

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 14/09/2004 by Droip

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places