Fonds DN/NDS - Diocese of Norwich: Norwich Charity Schools and the National Schools Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church

Identity area

Reference code

DN/NDS

Title

Diocese of Norwich: Norwich Charity Schools and the National Schools Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church

Date(s)

  • 1708-1956 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

297 files

Context area

Name of creator

(fl 1708-1956)

Administrative history

The Norwich Charity Schools were established in 1707/8, but the minutes do not begin until May 1711. They were supported by benefactions, subscriptions and a weekly 1d. or 2d. from each child. Annual subscribers of £1 and benefactors of £10 and over became trustees.The Charity initially ran nine schools (five boys', four girls') in rented schoolrooms. Mancroft School was the one exception; established in 1721 by Alderman John Risebrow who left the rent of two properties in Walton and Walpole St Peter for its support. The Charity Trustees were only able to build school premises after 1812 when the Charity became affiliated to the Norfolk and Norwich Society. (23 July 1812 minutes Norfolk and Norwich Society, resolved: 'that the City of Norwich having antient established schools with funds provided for their support, the Trustees of the said schools be requested to connect them so far with this Society as to adopt the mode of education recommended by it and to consent to their being considered as the Central Institution'.) The Society gave a £300 grant to build the central Boys' School, formerly called the Boys' Model School, in Aldred's Court, St Peter Hungate for 200 pupils.The Norfolk and Norwich Society also aided other schools on the National Schools system, as did the Norwich Diocesan Society, also founded in 1812. This Society was responsible for the training of National Society teachers in Norwich. The District Schools were an offshoot of the Norwich Charity Schools and were maintained by associations of parishes.

Name of creator

(1095-)

Administrative history

The Diocese of Norwich was established when Bishop Herbert de Losinga transferred the see from Thetford to Norwich in 1095 or 1096. At that time the diocese contained Norfolk (except Emneth, which was in the diocese of Ely), Suffolk (except for parishes in the peculiar deanery of Bocking) and part of south-east Cambridgeshire. This remained the case until 1837 when the Cambridgeshire portion along with the Archdeaconry of Sudbury (comprising West Suffolk) and the Liberty of Bury St Edmunds passed to the Diocese of Ely. In 1914 the Archdeaconry of Suffolk (except the deanery of Lothingland, i.e., the area around Lowestoft in north-east Suffolk), became part of the newly-created Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich whilst at the same time the Fincham and Lynn Marshland deaneries were transferred to the Diocese of Ely.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office on unknown date(s) (numbered DN/NDS 1-290), 26 March 1984 (numbered DN/NDS 161 photocopies only), 23 September 1989 (numbered DN/NDS 291-292) and 22 November 2000 (numbered DN/NDS 297).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

An index of the individual schools is available in the searchroom.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

For Diocesan School Returns, 1874-1875, 1879-1880, see MC 291/1-2.

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Sources

Accession area