Fonds FX 107 - Copy of Letter from George Borrow to D[awson] Turner

Reference code

FX 107

Title

Copy of Letter from George Borrow to D[awson] Turner

Date(s)

  • 1845 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

1 piece

Name of creator

(1775-1858)

Biographical history

Dawson Turner (1775-1858), banker, botanist, and antiquary, was born in Great Yarmouth, the son of James Turner, merchant and banker, and his wife, Elizabeth Cotman. He was educated at North Walsham Grammar School and Pembroke College, Cambridge, but left before taking his degree to join Gurney and Turner's Bank in Yarmouth. In 1794, he married Mary Palgrave of Yarmouth and Coltishall, Norfolk, with whom he had eleven children, of whom six daughters and two sons survived infancy. The key elements in his subsequent life were banking, family, and a studious disposition. His main passions were for botany and, later, for painting and antiquarian studies. He became an avid collector of literary and scientific books and manuscripts, as well as being an author of many works on antiquities and botany, especially cryptogamic plants. Throughout his life, he corresponded with many of the great botanists, antiquaries and artists of the day.

Name of creator

(1803-1881)

Biographical history

Born on 5 July 1803 at East Dereham. Died 26 July 1881. Son of Captain Thomas Borrow (1758-1824), adjutant of the West Norfolk militia, and his wife, Ann (1772-1858), daughter of Samuel Parfrement, a farmer. His elder brother was John Thomas Borrow.
The centenary of George Borrow's birth, in 1903, passed with little notice or celebration. As a result, a group of local Borrovians set-up a committee to organize a major celebration in 1913. The committee boasted many prominent members including the Lord Mayor of Norwich, the Dean of Norwich, William Jarrold, Herbert Jenkins and E.M. Beloe. Frank J. Farrell, a Great Yarmouth silk manufacturer, was appointed Honorary Secretary and as such was responsible for most of the planning and arrangements. The celebration took place on 5 July 1913, events including a guided tour of Borrovian Norwich, a reception at St Andrew's Hall, performances by Gypsy bands and dancers, and a dinner at the Maid's Head Hotel. At the reception the Lord Mayor, Arthur Samuel, presented the deeds of Borrow's house in Willow Lane to the City: the house was to become a museum in Borrow's memory, a purpose which it served until 1948.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 18 August 1969 (MS 34736).

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Status

Catalogued

Sources

Accession area