Bromehill Priory; c 1200-1528; austin canons; Weeting, Norfolk

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Bromehill Priory; c 1200-1528; austin canons; Weeting, Norfolk

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Broomhill, Bromhill

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

c 1200-1528


Priory of Augustinian canons, founded by Sir Hugh de Plaiz in c.1200, it was well established by 1224. Its temporalities were valued at £25 10s. 9d. in 1291. Suppressed, at Cardinal Wolsey's request, by Pope Clement's bull of 14 May, 1528 (effective on 18 Sepember 1528) towards the endowment of his projected college at Ipswich. After the cardinal's fall, the priory's former estates were granted to Christ's College, Cambridge.


Weeting, Norfolk

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities


Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created on: 18/03/2009 by Droip




'Houses of Austin canons: The priory of Bromehill', A History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 374-375. URL: Date accessed: 18 March 2009.\r\nAlso English Monastic Archives database on

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places