Borough of King's Lynn

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Borough of King's Lynn

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1204-1974

History

The borough consisted of the parish of St Margaret only until South Lynn was annexed to it in 1555, by a royal grant which was confirmed and made permanent in 1557. It was known as Lynn Episcopi, or Lynn Bishop, until 1536-7, when the estates of the Bishop of Norwich, including the lordship of Lynn, were transferred to the Crown and the change of name confirmed by letters patent. Other significant royal grants include incorporation in 1524, the Guildhall, Tolbooth, Leet and Pie Powder Courts in 1537 and Admiralty jurisdiction in 1604.
The boundaries of the municipal borough were extended by the King's Lynn Corporation Act 1880 to include parts of Gaywood and North Lynn and by the County of Norfolk Review Order 1935 to the civil parishes of Gaywood and North Lynn and parts of West Lynn and North Runcton. On 1 April 1974 the former municipal borough became part of the newly formed District of West Norfolk (since 1981 the Borough of King's Lynn and West Norfolk), which also included the areas of the former Rural Districts of Docking, Downham Freebridge Lynn and Marshland and the Urban Districts of Downham Market and Hunstanton.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

gb-153-authorityid-borough-of-kings-lynn

Maintained by

Institution identifier

gb-153

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Catalogued

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC